• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat chasing my bunnies - fuming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
I love all animals but I'm starting to have 'issues' with the neighbours cat. They haven't had it long and you can tell it's only young but it's starting to get bold and is in my garden most days. The poor bunnies are used to having free range time in the garden and now I can't take my eyes off them for a second because the cat keeps chasing and pouncing on them :censored:. Every time I see it I send the dogs out to chase it off but it's just not getting the message that it's not welcome.

It REALLY annoys me that cats can just 'help themselves' to everyone's personal space. I'm sure my neighbours would be angry if I let my dogs run riot in their garden but it seems to be fine that their choice of pet can cause havoc in mine - despite a 6 ft fence. Tomorrow I'm buying a Super Soaker water pistol and every time the cat puts a toe over my boundary, it's getting WET! Upset my bunnies at your peril moggie - it's showtime:evil:.

You have my sympathies!!

If anyone can guarantee a noise-emitting thing that will *only* affect cats and won't upset my rabbits I will buy one! I'm doing all kinds of things to try and keep the bloomin' things out - it makes me maaaddd that they are allowed to roam freely too - chasing my wild birds etc as well as doing unpleasant things on my flower beds! :evil:

Hmmm... sounds tough. My rabbits would just chase any cat straight out of our garden (they're tough ;)). You just need to deter it yourself.. Maybe with a hose pipe, as cats hate water. Just give it a little spray next time its in your garden and continue to do the same everytime it comes in..
Helen xx

I have cats and they go out, and I'd just say if they're being a git, soak them :lol: It doesn't hurt them
My cats chase wild things but don't go for rabbits, but I'd still hope that if they went into a garden that had rabbits in it that the owner would chase them off!

I have cats and they go out, and I'd just say if they're being a git, soak them :lol: It doesn't hurt them
My cats chase wild things but don't go for rabbits, but I'd still hope that if they went into a garden that had rabbits in it that the owner would chase them off!

But given that no-one is in and around 24/7 to continually chase cats out of our gardens this is hardly a fair argument. :?

I cannot be around all the time. I will be *livid* if I discover next door's cat harrassing my rabbits when they are outdoors in their outdoor accommodation. But I can't be there to chase them off all the time when they create a nuisance. I honestly do not *get* why I should have to put with them coming on to my garden at all, at any time!

Well I'm glad it's not just me who gets cheesed off with other peoples cats then! Don't get me wrong - I like cats - just not in MY garden please! I'm afraid I don't hold with the "cats are wild creatures and need to roam" argument. They're a domesticated animal, just like a dog or a rabbit and their owners should keep them either in their own house or confined to a run in their garden - just as I keep my rabbits confined to my garden and don't let them sneak under the fence to eat all of next doors tender and juicy plants!! I don't allow my dogs out to wander willy-nilly all over the neighbours gardens - I take them out and they're accompanied and under control at all times. Perhaps cats should be made to do the same.

What's the biggest super-soaker you can buy :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I hate to admit this is my absolute pet hate. I really disagree with people letting their cats out to roam wherever they like. A cat came in to MY garden once and chased MY rabbits which takes the mick as far as im concerned, my rabbits shouldnt be in danger from other peoples pets. I also cant see how people dont panic that they have no idea where their pet is or how safe it is? :?

But given that no-one is in and around 24/7 to continually chase cats out of our gardens this is hardly a fair argument. :?

I cannot be around all the time. I will be *livid* if I discover next door's cat harrassing my rabbits when they are outdoors in their outdoor accommodation. But I can't be there to chase them off all the time when they create a nuisance. I honestly do not *get* why I should have to put with them coming on to my garden at all, at any time!

No but at the same time, everyone who has a rabbit outside knows that people have cats who roam. I'd rather not let my cats out the garden, but my mam prefers to, so they do get to go out

You have my sympathies!! I can't let my rabbits roam free because of the amount of cats around here. It really annoys me! I have to take the cats into account when I'm planning my shed and run outside, so that the rabbits will not get scared. I quite agree that cats should be kept under control like other pets need to be.

The biggest super soaker I can think of is a garden hose :lol::lol:.

When my neighbour's cat was a kitten it used to chase the rabbits, so every time I saw it I'd chase it and shove a bristled broom up it's jacksy...it got the idea pretty quickly :lol:

The bloomin thing still pees up my rabbit hutches/runs, but at least it doesn't chase the rabbits any more

I totally sympathise! My neighbour has cats - LOADS of cats - they just let them breed!! and last summer they were always in my garden, sitting on my car, messing in my flower pots and chasing my bunnies :evil::evil: One nearly got Sooty :evil:
I also wish people would keep THEIR animals in THEIR garden grrrrrr

A bloke I work with deliberately doesn't give his cat a litter tray, so that it messes in the neighbours gardens..why get a pet if you're going to have that attitude?...it really bugs me :evil:

Last edited:
The cats round here are flea ridden too, which I'm worried will cause a health risk for the bunnies with myxo, even if they are vaccinated.

this is why I am going to get a house cat in the future, won't have this issue! :lol:

Even considering my two are bigger than cats it doesn't stop them being poo scared of them... they are wetties! You have my sympathy Sue!

Anyone worried about cats chasing bunnies while they are free ranging, what about foxes?

*Ahem* - I didn't say when they were free ranging - my concern is that they will harrass the bunnies whilst inside their accommodation.

They do 'flippin well harrass the wild birds I attract to my garden which is enough for me to be pretty annoyed.

I've tried it and it's rubbish. :roll:

One shower of rain and it loses all effectiveness - which in England is pretty much every day! :p

I've tried the plant that's supposed to repel too and that doesn't work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back