• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cheek ulcer

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jims has just been diagnosed as having a mouth ulcer, roughly how long should it take to heal up? The vet said quickly but I do not know how quickly.

As I said in your other thread in my experience up to 7 days.

Antepsin can significantly reduce healing time.

Hello my bun Daisy has got an ulcer in her mouth at the mo due to teeth probs. She was on baytril for 5 days then i stopped it and her mouth became wet again, vet said to finish the baytril i had and she has been on it for about 2 weeks aswell as metacam, prob only got a couple of days left then she is due another check up but im hoping its cleared up. She only had one dose of her meds yest instead of two and she didnt seem any different. Dont know if this is of any help.

We are going to ask about the Antepsin tomorrow.
The vet said he does not want to give antibiotics due to the fact they can cause all sorts of problems and because he is on so much already it could really mess him up.
He said it is unlikely to get infected and should heal up quickly.

Bailey was on baytrill when she had her bad bout of stasis a few weeks ago, she was also being prescribed loads of other things at the time (the few i can remember: metacop, fibreplex, hydration injection, pain injection and some other stuff to encourage her guts to get moving) they had bailey on Baytrill for 10days in total, i had to do it my self for 7, once the course of antibiotics ended it was 3 days then she stoped eating due to the inflamation from her teeth, i know your vet will do what he thinks is best, but i think the baytrill really helped bailey to start eating and behaving normal again, has your vet suggested Fibreplex to you? it might be a good idea to get some, its a paste i just sandwiched it in between 2 mint leaves and bailey took it no problem.
Not sure if youve had it before but hes the break down of what it does from Vetuk website:
Fibreplex for rabbits and small pets provides palatable, easy to administer extra dietary fibre to encourage normal hind gut function.

Includes beneficial microorganisms to rapidly populate the gastrointestinal tract and prebiotics to synergistically enhance the growth and colonisation of beneficial microorganisms.

The prebiotic Preplex combines multi-sources of prebiotic to ensure various degrees of selectively fermentable sources of food for beneficial microorganisms within the gut.

it might be handy to get some ether from vets or from VetUk website as Jims seems to be going for the leafy greens alot more than hay and pellets, and it might give him that extra fibre boost he needs for his gut to start working again :)
x

Hi Bailey Bunn we have been giving him fibreplex for a few days now.
Spoke to the vet today about antibiotics and he said that at this stage he does not think he needs them and is concerned about bombarding him with even more meds.

If Jims lack of appitete is due to this ulcer, once it has healed and is causing no pain, there is no reason what so ever to think he is not going to pull through is there?
My vet said that some bunnies get a really bad bout and no matter how much help they get just dont come back from it :cry:

If Jims lack of appitete is due to this ulcer, once it has healed and is causing no pain, there is no reason what so ever to think he is not going to pull through is there?
My vet said that some bunnies get a really bad bout and no matter how much help they get just dont come back from it :cry:

His GI tract problems appear to be a secondary symptom to his Dental problems. So once the ulcer heals and he improves his food intake his GI tract motility should improve too. Ideally supportive feeds should be given during his recovery (along with medication- pain relief, Antepsin, Ranitidine, Metoclopromide). In severe cases it can be necessary for the Rabbit to be fed via a nasogastric tube.

This problem is very likely to recur unless his Dental issues are addressed thoroughly and appropriately managed on a regular basis.

It is definatly something we will talk with the vet about, but right now, I think the most important thing to do is to allow the ulcer to heal and for him to get back to normal then we can consider the ga dental if need be, but I really do feel that to put him through a general now would be detrimental to his recovery.
He is currently on Metacloprimide, Zantak, Ketofen, Infacol and Fibreplex.

Touch wood Jims is on the mend, he did not have the metacloprimide today, only pain relief and it looks like it was the right thing to do, he has eaten a good amount of hay and is even eating some treats again now!
My question is, for how long will he require pain relief now, because obviously we have to take him to the vets for it so I do not want to stress him out if it is no longer nessersary?

Hmm difficult to say, if it is what caused the statis in the very begining then 6 days, they first saw it on Thursday though, when they did the dental, so in that case then 4 days.

If he is eating and pooing OK now then I personally dont think he needs any more pain relief. But I'd check to see what your Vet says :)

Well he is eating but not PROPERLY yet, so maybe another day or two of pain relief is needed?
He only ate the sprout when I broke it so that all the leaves were seperate. :?

Back