• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it ok for bunny to be out in the rain??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
She's currently in the run bouncing round very happily and just won't go back in her hutch ....... the thing is, its raining and although she's spending most of her time in the covered section of the run (with lots of hay and her food, water n toys) she does keep coming out for a run round in the rain ..... will it do her any harm??

The run is currently on paving so its really only touching her feet, (I've heard if they play on long wet grass they can get something called wet belly!?!?!) but is wet paving bad for her to walk on?

She seems to be really enjoying herself so I don't want to really make her go 'in' but if her being out in the rain a bit is bad for her then I will.

She seems to be enjoying having a snuggle in the covered bit then coming out for a quick mad run in the rain, then going back in again.

Oh and its not absolutely throwing it down ..... its light rain...... and since I've started typing this she's gone back in the covered bit and looks like she's all snuggled up and comfy.

When I do put her back in the hutch, if she's wet, is it ok to dry her off with a towel or am I best just leaving her??

(I'm only bunny sitting for a couple of weeks and obviously I don't know much about it all)!

Thanks, Jo (and Mitzy)

Bunnies can not regulate their body temperature very well so if you do choose to leave her out then I would dry her off before putting her in or she may catch a chill so to speak.
In all honesty I shouldnt think it will do her any harm if she is out but mostly under cover, but hopefully someone more experienced on out door buns will be here soon :wave:

My 2 often sit out in the rain with no ill effects - they only go inside to eat, use litter tray or if its really hard rain. I don't leave them out in the winter or persistent bad weather though just in case.

Thanks very much, I've put her back in now and given her a quick towel dry. She seemed to really enjoy being out in it ...blessss!

She's probably only going to be here for another week .... which is a shame as I'm getting really quite attached to her!

Jo (and Mitzy) x

Thanks very much, I've put her back in now and given her a quick towel dry. She seemed to really enjoy being out in it ...blessss!

She's probably only going to be here for another week .... which is a shame as I'm getting really quite attached to her!

Jo (and Mitzy) x

Doesnt take long does it?! ;):love:

Jo (and Mitzy) x

Why don't you get a bunny of your own after shes left??;);)
Go on you know you want too:p

Back