• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

diarrhea and flies

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I went to check on the rabs this morning and I saw that Ruby's face was covered in about five flies. I got to her and brushed them off and then checked her all over for any signs of fly strike. Didn't see anything. Then I looked at Ralph and he has a mucky bum and back legs, it looks like he has watery diarrhea, but luckily no signs of flystrike either.

Their living quarters are very clean and their litter tray only had the usual amount of solid poos in it when I see them in the morning.

What should I do? Fibreplex for Ralph and a constant change on their litter tray? Also check them over every couple of hours?

definitely vet asap. My Picollo has had true diarrhea not just uneaten ceacos and they can get dehydrated very quickly, also the risk of flystrike and that it is very possibly a bacterial infection that will require antibiotics. definitely take him today.

Just got back from my emergency dental appointment where they drained the pus from my tooth! Lovely! And now going to take Ralph to emergency vets!

Thanks for your replies xxx

Agree with the others, if it is diaorrhea (sp) he needs to see the vet as they can dehydrate very quickly.

If he is sent home you may want to make sure you have some fibreplex in to (check with vet first).

Good luck at the vet.

Awwwhh. Sending some vibes for Ralph and your tooth!

In summer time I get old net curtains from a charity shop and cut them to size and pin them over my hutches/runs so flies can't get in. It's quite reassuring when I'm at work to know they're safe from flies. :) Keeps them a bit shaded from the sun too.

oh noo. poor you.....i hope you feel better soon xx

vibes for the vet trip and diagnosis:wave:

my buns are house buns but even i put insect netting at the windows..stops flies..wasps and bloomin big spiders!!

this year tho ive got to buy some trellis and tack netting to it as the cats get out the windows otherwise....esp the upstairs ones!!!:lol::lol:

i hope everythings ok xx

In summer time I get old net curtains from a charity shop and cut them to size and pin them over my hutches/runs so flies can't get in. It's quite reassuring when I'm at work to know they're safe from flies. :) Keeps them a bit shaded from the sun too.

Oh that's a good idea!! I'm gonna do that. Love this forum!! :p

What would you do for a shed??:?

We're back... an anti-biotics injection ("for good measure") and fibreplex dosage... he's drunk a lot of water since we got back which is good, and seems fine in himself. What I don't understand was why the flies were on Ruby's face instead of Ralph's bum? Anyone got any clues? Do flies like eyes?

I, however, am NOT! Tooth abcess has spread to my left sinus and tonsil... I feel like death, and the pus is still leaking. Cannot believe it got this bad, and they still haven't "officially" treated me - that happens next week! Wonder what else will get infected in the mean time...

awww poor you what a hard time you are having - sounds horrible! I have no idea why the flies would be on her face??? strange one - unless she had been sticking her face in his bum? :? yuck..

Hope ralph is ok and sending vibes for you all xx

Just had a terrible thought...

My tooth infection is caused by staph bacteria, and it's been building up over a few weeks. I've been feeding the buns a lot by hand - do you think I could've given them something?

What would you do for a shed??:?

I have shed bunnies and I have always pondered this question... My hutch bunnies are older/longer haired so it's them I would worry about more. The net curtain technique is brilliant for them (only you have to be careful not to shut any flies in because they can't get out again!). My shed buns are short furred and that bit younger so are very good at keeping clean. I do stick up those yellow fly paper things in summer though. I'm sure I could stick net over the windows and be able to keep flies out quite effectively if I wanted to however, it's just not something that's essential for them.

I also have a few birdies in my shed so if the flies are daft enough to pop through their wire, they get eaten! *Evil laugh* ;)

We're back... an anti-biotics injection ("for good measure") and fibreplex dosage... he's drunk a lot of water since we got back which is good, and seems fine in himself. What I don't understand was why the flies were on Ruby's face instead of Ralph's bum? Anyone got any clues? Do flies like eyes?

I, however, am NOT! Tooth abcess has spread to my left sinus and tonsil... I feel like death, and the pus is still leaking. Cannot believe it got this bad, and they still haven't "officially" treated me - that happens next week! Wonder what else will get infected in the mean time...

Glad Ralph is alright! :wave: Hopefully his butt will be back to normal soon! Were the flies around Ruby's eyes or just on her head in general? I think it's common for flies to get moisture from animal eyes as a lot of animals rarely blink (especially bunnies!). They may have been attracted in by Ralph's stinky bottom and stopped for a little drink in Ruby's eye (flies are so manky! :lol:). I wouldn't be too worried now that you know Ralph is ok. :wave:

Back