• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still unwell from spay

weedug

Mama Doe
Little Faith was spayed on Wednesday and was quite unwell when we got her home. She was shivering and just lying around not eating and could hardly move. She went back to the vet yesterday and they kept her in, gave her a bunch of injections (don't know what she all had, but do know they gave her an antibiotic) and syringe fed her. She got back yesterday and I'm having trouble getting her to eat.

This morning she looks as normal, can hop around instead of just walking, is chewing on her toys occasionally, grooming herself and rearranging her bedding. She will only take a couple of mouthfuls of food at a time though, and doesn't have many poos at all. Should I stress her out again by taking her back to the vet or just keep going at home? She has already had painkillers this morning.

Any advice would be great, as I am getting stressed and I'm sure that she can pick up on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about Faith -poor thing. Have you tried offering her some of her favourite foods or some fragrant herbs/hay to tempt her? If she is moving around and playing with toys then it's a good sign. Is you usually vet open today - it might be worth ringing for some advice. Obviously her lack of poo is a worry but it will be less if she is putting in less. Try to not stress her by checking her all the time or pushing food infront of her. She's more inclined to eat if she's relaxed.

It took my rabbit a couple of day to get her appitite back to normal. I just kept putting lots of basil in her cage, lots of hay and some water in a bowl.
One minute she didn`t look good at all wouldn`t eat or drink, and then all of a sudden she just seemed to snap out of it and looked loads better, and that was a couple of days after the op. hope your bun will be ok :D

Thanks for the replies. Faith has been eating more this past hour :D. She has even been tucking into her rabbit mix. Won't eat any of her normal greens though. Thank goodness I have plenty weeds starting to grow in the garden! I moved her cage so she was sitting in the sunshine in our lounge, and she ended up next to Mr Bubbles cage. Don't know if it was the sunshine or his munching that got her eating :lol:. Still no poos though, but I hope they will appear later.

She looked so ill yesterday I really thought that we were going to loose her, so I'm really happy that she seems to be picking up. She may be a monster bun (even the vet commented on her attitude), but I love her anyway :love:

:wave: I know how you feel and it's a really fine line between keeping an eye on her and letting her know you are worried if you see what I mean, I would try to relax, it is still early days, provide her with a little buffet of her favourite things - flat leaf parsley was a favourite with mine and lots of hay in a bowl and a saucer or bowl of cooled boiled water, I managed to get a bit of fibreplex wrapped in a basil leaf eaten but, by leaving it there, she was very picky for days. As long as you have the pain relief and she is kept warm and quiet, she should pick up after lots of rest, she may not have rested as well as normal at the vets so is probably drained. My vets said to tempt her with anything and if she eats something provide more of it, it's the one time they are allowed to be a little naughty with food - I did give Ness a bit of hobnob after I had given her metacam as a reward;)

awww so sorry to hear all about your bunny....but glad she getting better,I know so well what you are on about as I had my two boys done yesterday and last night I came on here in desperation as we thought we were going to loose one of them...george was shaking so much I thought he was convulsing...today they are both a little perkier and water been drank and a bit of apple and cucumber and spinach and grass gone so fingers crossed...sending huge big bunny vibes your way!!!!!!:love:

Glad your two boys are getting a bit better speckles. Sending double bunny vibes your way for them both!! :love:

Faith has eaten about half of her mix today, with some dandilion leaves and strawberry leaves, and she has had a little drink from her bottle. She even managed a few little poos!!! Should have heard all the cheering I did :lol:. Not back to normal yet as she has shown no interest in her supper. My other rabbit Mr Bubble has been acting strange today too. I'm sure he is a bit jealous of the attention Faith is getting, so I have tried to pay him loads of extra attention this evening.

Glad your two boys are getting a bit better speckles. Sending double bunny vibes your way for them both!! :love:

Faith has eaten about half of her mix today, with some dandilion leaves and strawberry leaves, and she has had a little drink from her bottle. She even managed a few little poos!!! Should have heard all the cheering I did :lol:. Not back to normal yet as she has shown no interest in her supper. My other rabbit Mr Bubble has been acting strange today too. I'm sure he is a bit jealous of the attention Faith is getting, so I have tried to pay him loads of extra attention this evening.

Glad she is feeling a bit better :)

Back