• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lapinject over Cylap?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Milly and Molly have had 3 cylap VHD jabs and only Milly has shown slight reactions, such as being more drowsy the following day, but that's it. Is there any need to worry about Cylap if they haven't had a reaction before, or is it best just to get the Lapinject instead? I understand it is more expensive for the vets to do that if they aren't doing a group of rabbits at a time, so could they refuse because there's only two rabbits to be done, and will it cost me more to pay for it? if so, how much more is it than the cylap?

It is more expensive, but I think it's worth it all the same. My boys had a horrible reaction to Cylap.

I would never allow anyBun in my care to have a Cylap Vaccine.

Yes, they can have a severe reaction even if they didn't last time.

As to cost, it may be more expensive but as to how much more you'd need to ask your Vet. All Vet's set their own prices.

I'd never had any problems with Cylap until Louie had it last year. He didn't eat much the day after and was very sleepy.

I will be asking for Lapinject this year.

Ok. thank you. I'll ask for the Lapinject this time. Could they refuse to get it? (well, i suppose if they do, we go to another vet to get it done. :oops:)

My vets only use lapinject too. They really dont like cylap. If your vet wont use lapinject (cant imagine they'll refuse though) would you be able to take them elsewhere to have it done?

I told my vets last week that I wanted Lapinject instead of Cylap when mine go for their VHD jabs. Mine kept switching between the two... They used Lapinject the first year I took my bunnies, so I assumed they'd used it last year. Then Edgar developed a limp for four or so days following his VHD vaccine, I looked at his card and realised they'd used Cylap. So this year they can use Lapinject. I've got six bunnies, so they can darn well do as I request...! :lol:

If 2 or more bunnies are injected at the same time lapinject should actually work out cheaper for the vet.....ask them to order it in for you- a bottle of lapinject is only a few pence more expensive than 1 dose of cylap but needs to be used up or discarded within one working day.
If your bunnies have a reaction to any vaccine I would insist the vets writes it in their notes and reports it to the manufacturers xx

My vet was happy to order Lapinject so D&D had it this time and I wasn't charged any more for it! Even better there were no horrible side effects like they had with Cylap :)

After what happened to Nora last year, I'd gladly pay more to have lapinject than let her have Cylap again.

My vet uses Cylap, but after I sent him some info he was happy to get Lapinject in ... and my two had no side effects at all when they had their VHD vaccs recently. Huge relief after Daisy's bad Cylap experience last year.

If your vet is unsure, ask them to look at the data sheet for Cylap, which states that "50% of animals will show palpable reactions" in the form of swelling, redness and hair loss, as well as pyrexia and forelimb lameness:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44936.html

I may not be correct but I don't think some vets will get it in - not on a cost basis but due to agreements/deals with veterinary suppliers/manufacturers etc? Our local vet (not mine) does not use Lapinject and says she could only supply Cylap.

I will always choose Lapinject.

Back