• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dew laps

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
do all girl buns get these? just wondering as i only really had one larger female girlie, thumper a french lop, she had one, rosie hasn't maybe its because she's a nethie?

I think unspayed does get far larger ones than spayed does. (And if they have a litter then it gets bigger.)
Pixie was spayed at 6/7 months, and hasn't got one.....Bluebell was spayed much later and has a good sized one on her.

ETA: I don't know about the diffference in breeds but would hazard a guess that the larger the breed, the larger the dewlap.

......overweight bucks can get dudelaps!! ;) :lol::lol:

No, not all does get them. Some breeds get them more (i.e. lops) and fat, unspayed buns. None of my dutchies have one, and my lionhead and wild bunny don't either.

I think unspayed does get far larger ones than spayed does. (And if they have a litter then it gets bigger.)
Pixie was spayed at 6/7 months, and hasn't got one.....Bluebell was spayed much later and has a good sized one on her.

ETA: I don't know about the diffference in breeds but would hazard a guess that the larger the breed, the larger the dewlap.

......overweight bucks can get dudelaps!! ;) :lol::lol:

dudelaps love it :lol::lol::lol:

Ghostie doesn't have one at all - she was immaciated when I got her, and she was only about 1, and then when she gained enough condition she was spayed.
Scarlett on the other hand was spayed quite late and she had a small dewlap (at about 2)
However, Frosty who is a boy has a tiny tiny tiny dewlap, and I think it's just where he's a dumpling :oops:
They went on a diet and it's gone now :lol:

rexes often get them spayed or not from what ive seen, i think if they are neutered as young as poss most girls dont develop one, thought it was a hormone thing as they pluck it for nests dont they ?

Rosie had quite a big one and she was unspayed, but she was also quite overweight when she developed hers (didn't know better at the time).

Islay and Jura haven't developed one yet, they are not spayed, and I am hoping they don't develop them because I find them a bit unsightly!

Bella is unspayed (soon to be spayed,might I add) but hers isn't really that big,you can only really see it when she's eating :lol:

Ruby doesn't have one at all although she wasn't spayed until she was about 1 year (although her age is all estimated cause she was a stray), and they thought she was in the early stages of pregnancy at the time, so I don't know whether she would have had any previous litters.

Beau had one see, and he was a neutered lad

DSC09327.jpg

Buu had quite a large one but it went after her spay

Thank you babe :love: I was used to say to him where is my girly boy with the dewlap :oops: :lol: Im so mean :lol: I think there has been quite a few people on here who have seen lads with dewlaps

Back