• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deafness?

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I am wondering if Mischa is getting a bit deaf.

He had EC when he was 1, he's come up to 4 now. Sometimes when I go in the room I startle him even though I am talking to them. If he is on the bed busy cleaning himself he won't notice me even if I talk to him until I prod him or he sees me.

Also they all know the rattle of the treat box, but Mischa won't come up when he 'hears' it. He doesn't seem to notice until Mini scampers past him or he sees the box.

Hi, Starbuck is deaf. He acts very much like you say, in that he doesnt notice any sounds or respond to any noise, and he gets VERY easily startled, so we always take care to approach him slowly and not make sudden movements. And to approach from the side where he can see us.

He is a lop, and I have noticed that our other lop Fay is quite hard of hearing because she sometimes doesnt notice sounds. But she doesnt get so startled and she generally hears shaking of her pellets and thigns.

Whereas our Dutches who have uppy-ears hear EVERYTHING - even things from the inside of the house when they are outside!!

So I think if he is a lop it can be difficult to tell. I think that the lady who I adopted Starbuck from said it was diagnosed by her vet at a checkup.

Yes Mini isn't always as sensitive to sounds as my other two as well, though she appears to hear more than Mischa. I will have to mention it at their next vacc which is in a week. Thanks.

Alvin is either deaf or ignorant. this morning he was grooming his bum area so didnt see me enter the room, pearl is jumping about for her treat and hes still grooming.. shouted his name, even turned the light on and off. didnt climb into the cage because i knew if i did hed hit the side.

he still acted alittle startled when he finally saw me, but thankfully didnt dart off like he usually does.

to get his attention before pearl we would bang on the floor so he felt the vibrations or turn the light on and he would come running. he thumps alot and ive noticed he does this when the radiators first turn on from cold they must vibrate the room in some way and hes very sensitive to that. Pearl is his ears now. if she comes running so does he.

its never been confirmed by a vet, but i know hes deaf.

worst ones are when hes sleeping and looks dead, calling him dont wakes him and touching him sends him into a panic and if he sees me standing there hes accross the room.. amazed his heart still works lol

Usually if I rub his head when he's sleeping he gradually wakes up because he enjoys it but it alerts him to someone in the room at the same time.

Oh poor Mischa.
I went to a fascinating talk by Anne McBride rabbit behaviourist recently. She said that bunnies rely heavily on scent & hearing. Apparently lops are disadvantaged re hearing because the lop ears act like ear muffs. They also cannot see behind them, because of the snub face & the ears get in the way at the sides.

Perhaps it's worth checking whether Mischa has any wax in his ears.

That makes a lot of sense. I did wonder about earwax. I would look in there myself but I don't see the point prodding and poking when we have an appointment for vaccs on friday. I shall leave it to the expert. :)

Back