• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rescue bunny has the poos... :(

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
Please help. What am i doing wrong.

I collected my two rescue bunnies on friday from the local animal shelter and i was advised that both were fed on excel and that they had both had there VHD jabs that day. Niether has any known health problems.

Well that was all great untill yesterday and when i went down to Tiggs [8mth old female lion lop cross] she had, had diarreha bad in the night. She was nice and clean though and eatting and drinking fine. So i cleaned her out and thought maybe it is stress as she seems fine in herself. All during the day yesterday she was fine pooing and weeing fine. But then this morning again loads and loads of diarehha :cry::cry:

Is it me am i jinxed or something.... what am i doing wrong. Alex and yoshi are fine but gizmo and now tiggs... please help :(

Are you certain it's diarrhoea and not uneaten caecotrophs ?

Hi Jane

Yes it is diarrhoea sadly. splodges of it the size of my palm :shock: some of it is very watery too.

I phoned the rescue and they said she has been prone to soft poos in the past, so i took her to the vets. They have given her a good check over and have said in general she is a healthy bunny. They think it may be the stress of the move and the fact she drinks sooooo much [nearly a bottle a day :shock:] They have given me pre biotic to put in her water too but said that hopefully in a few days things should settle down :oops:

I will keep you informed on she is getting on. Just really glad the vet doesn't think there is anything too sinster wrong :)

I would monitor her weight very carefully if I were you.

The excessive drinking and intermittent diarrhoea are something I would have concerns about :?

This may sound an odd question but what colour is she and does she have a slightly potted belly ? When you look at her back from above does her spine appear to be a bit 'pointed' ?

I would monitor her weight very carefully if I were you.

The excessive drinking and intermittent diarrhoea are something I would have concerns about :?

This may sound an odd question but what colour is she and does she have a slightly potted belly ? When you look at her back from above does her spine appear to be a bit 'pointed' ?

Hi Again

Well i took Tiggs to the vets and the vet said she thinks it is stress related :roll: I also contacted the rescue and they said she is prone to diarrhoea if she has too much pellets/ grass/ veg so we took away all pellets for 2days and no diarrhoea. However apart from yesterday the excessive drinking continues.... nearly 300mls a day :shock: ... She looks a bit like a tiger Jane colour wize.... Gingery with black stripes.

As for her belly and spine... well i wouldn't say she has a potted belly and her spine looks ok. I don't know if it is me but she is very dainty compared to my two males.... you can feel her spine and ribs :shock: really wanted to fatten her up a bit but obviously with the poos i can't give her too much to eat other than hay.

The vet said the diarrhoea could be caused by the excessive drinking. I just don't know what to think any more. She does seem fine in herself but i am concerned. What would you recommend i do? Oh and as for the hay she is on the same hay as she was as they get it from the same place as me :)

Has she eaten any hay? Is your hay different to the rescue? Excel sometimes causes runny poos. What quantity are you feeding? Have you fed any veg since you have had her?

Does the rescue Panacur?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=203894&highlight=excel+runny

Diarrhoea can be caused by other reasons too.

The rescue hasn't given her panacur so we are doing that now. We tried her on a small amount of veg [as she had some at the rescue] but since the poos she hasn't had any. Feeding quantities well she has unlimited hay of course and was having a small amount of pellets twice daily.

I thought i was getting quite experienced and learnt quite a bit but it seems to me quite clearly now i am a novice in a big way and without this site i would be lost :oops:..... please tell me what you think is wrong with my girl as the vet tells me she is healthy.... [she is a good rabbit savy vet too :?]

Back