• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental buns - what age did yours start having them etc etc?

seagreen

Warren Scout
Toby is 6 years old & had his 1st GA dental at the age of 7 months & has been having them every 6-8 weeks ever since.

I was wondering:-

- at what age did your buns have to start having regular dentals ?

- how often ?

- GA or conscious ?

- what age are they now or at what age did they cross the bridge ?

Last edited:
:wave:

Santa my ickle nethie is nearly 7 and has been having dentals approx every 6 months since she was about 3. Her teeth are absolutely terrible with long roots which are pushing up and causing snuffles.

They are always done under GA - my vet burrs them right back down to just above the gum and this wouldn't be possible conscious. On her most recent dental last week my vet also found a spur which had grown sideways and got itself buried into her cheek :shock: which hadn't been spotted while she was conscious. Burring them right down rather than just taking off the spurs means that it takes longer for them to re-grow and start to cause further problems and also relieves the pressure on the tooth roots. Even though she's snuffly, Santa has always coped well with anaesthetics so this seems to be the best approach for her :)

Sooty was 11 months when she had her first one under GA - that was only one she has had at the moment (touch wood) that was 2 months ago..

And thankfully she is still with us!

I've got Badger, Dopeys 1 and 2, Cloud, Sandy, Sky, Angel, Hope and Dusk who are dental bunnies. They all have GAs for their dentals. They also have a wide variety of times between them. Sky has just had his first at 4 and a half. Hope needed his done at 13 months, the rest gained their issues in between.

Hope needs his done only every 11 months or so, whereas Dusk was 14 weeks but we stretched it out to a few months.

So we have a wide variety here despite minimum pellets and loads and loads of hay, but all those are related to at least two other bunnies up there.

Sunshine had dental problems. He had two, one at 2 and one at nearly 7 and then died a year later due to stupid stupid vet ignorance and error and my lack of knowledge that if you lose one tooth in a rabbits mouth the opposing tooth needs to come out. He could have lived far longer and suffered far less had I known.

Fudge was about 6 months old when she had to have her first dental she is 2 years 4 months now. At first it was every 6-8 weeks then i changed to a better vet and since she has had 2 dentals in 1 year and 1 month so its not too bad now.

She has always been done under GA, i couldnt put her through the stress of a conscious.

Ginger and Pickles are both dental buns. Ginger needs doing every month - Pickles around every 2/3 months. They're 6 and a half, and have been having them for about a year, I think.

Too many to list/remember :oops: :oops:

The most extreme case was Abby, who never needed a dental before she was about 4/5 years old, then suddenly went to needing one every fortnight for some reason. Skull x-rays showed that she had no root problems. Sometimes she was done under GA and sometimes conscious. She died aged about 6/7 years (not tooth related).

Most of my existing dental buns have their molars done every 4-6 months, and are done conscious or with a small amount of gas only. I have no idea how old they were when they developed teeth problems because they were pre-existing when I adopted them. They range in age from about 1 year to 6 years old now.

Herbie started having dentals when he was approximately 1 year old.

He needs a dental every 4-5 weeks.

He has GA dentals. His dental problems are complicated as it's not always the same teeth affected each time. His spurs only have to be very small to cause him a problem, so each dental involves a very careful inspection of every tooth.

Herbie is 5 and a half years old now, so he's been having these very regular dentals for 4 and a half years. He copes well with the anaesthetic, bounces back very quickly and is eating again by the time I collect him from the vet in the late afternoon.

Tracy
x

Back