• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny toys/boredom breakers

Lu_x

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have spent the last couple of days trying to make the bunnys room more interesting and fun, but I'm still looking for ideas- has anyone got any suggestions on how to make interesting bunny toys or do you know of any good ones on the market?

They already have treat balls, dumbells, twigs, willow balls and boxs to jump on and in. I also got a vegetable box and turned it in to a forage box, which keeps them occupied!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks x

I have a mirror with a bell attached to the bottom, its actually a bird toy but the buns love it!! Rimmi boxes it and Winter likes hitting it with her nose to make the noise....!!

Also, I have a cheap bowl from Wilkos, the 79p ones, and I put some of their toys and chews in there, Winter loves pulling them all out :)

Toilet tubes are always fun.....

Boxes from Tesco, you know, the ones they display pizzas in etc :)

Cant think of more off the top of my head, Ive been tidying and am tired now!!

They have one long tunnel from p@h which attaches to a tent. I didn't think of bird toys lol, I think they'd quite like a mirror, they're both vein! Thanks for the suggestions guys! Josie and Velcro say thank you!

My two LOVE their old phone books!! Tibbsy 'digs' in them to ruffle up all the pages, then Echo tears strips off them and carries them to the litter tray! :love:
As long as you watch up for them eating the pages, then it's a great (and free) toy. I got everyone at work to bring their old ones in so have a wee supply now.

Sparkle loves an empty kitchen roll tube tightly stuffed with Hay, he tugs on it and chuck's it everywhere.

If you can get them then I have found that you can get big tubes that schools and sports shops get that they pack footballs and basketballs in. They are thick cardboard, about 12" diameter and pretty long (about 4ft). Perfect bunny tunnels.

Failing that:

willow, apple sticks,
anything made from cardboard,
cardboard boxes with flaps or holes cut in,
Smudge loves chopping string up (the hesien sort),
those welcome matts that are wood-stuff,
telephone directories (preferably old ones),
big thick farm straw,
home-made dig box (large, shallow tray with soil (if brave) or sawdust with treats buried in)

Last edited:
Just something that they can destroy :lol:

Wilkinsons do "play veg" that are 99p each... Charlie is OBSESSED with them. I'm gonna have to start buying them in bulk because he just destroys them within hours!

Thanks so much everyone, you've all given me lots of ideas which should keep me busy for a while and in turn should keep the bunnies out of mischief!

I'll ask around for phone books and I know I've got some cardboard tubes around the house which I can stuff with dried herbs and hay! I'll add everything else to my shopping list for the weekend!

( I think Josie and Velcro are becoming a bit spoilt!)

Thanks again :wave:

Kids shape sorters, our 3 love them as do the boarders. Take the shapes out and stuff with hay and treats and they go mad for them, rolling and throwing them all over the place to get the treats out

draped things like curtains or towels hung over a stool or a cardboard box with a hole cut into it, my buns love to creep under towels, maybe it feels like they are creeping through long grass or under bushes as they would do in the wild.

throwing things

Ours like throwing plant pots. Stack them upstairs, and they stand at the edge throwing them down with a look of glee in their eyes. Are you daft enough to re-stack them? Well, obviously...! Who is keeping who busy?!

My Marky bunny likes to be as high as possible - he'll climb on anything :lol: When they are indoors for a run he sits on the back of the sofa :roll:

Maybe something they can jump on - I remember someone on here having a wicker laundry box/basket thing - they'll probably enjoy chewing it too.

I also get cheap wicker bins/waste paper thingies - the last 1 was 99p from Asda. They sit in it, chuck it around & chew it & I don't mind if they destroy it quickly because they are cheap

Oh yes, one of Rimmi and Winters FAVE toys is my washing..... clean washing preferably.... as soon as you get it out the washer they jump on it and start turfing all the wet clothes out..... pain in the bums they are!!!!

Win has just managed to destroy this toy I bought online, its like a ball with woven hay like material and a stick skeleton with a tinkily ball inside, I have had it since I got Rimmi and neither showed interest in it until shes started eating it, lol, only about half of it left now and she makes SUCH a mess with it.

Also, as long as you watch them with them for a while, those plastic tinkily balls are great, and so cheap, they push them about the place when they want attention and then we almost break our necks on them...............I know they make rabbit ones but the cat ones are cheaper!!!

Oh, and Steph, Rimmi and Winter like the toys from Wilko too, theyre funny! Check out the bird and cat sections for more toy ideas too, and rat section, alot of places dont think there is such thing as a toy for a rabbit!!!

Last edited:
Mine like their plank of wood set up on two boxes. (I put sticky velcro on so the plank doesn't collapse on an unsuspecting bunny! I put holes in either end of the boxes. They go in the boxes, sit on the bench and under the bench!! They love their bench!! :)

Back