• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My fear was confirmed today.

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I took Louie for his Myxomatosis booster and asked the vet if he could perform tests on Louie's eyes due to certain behaviours which have made me suspicious.

He has confirmed that Louie has either very, very minimal sight or is more likely to be totally blind. His eyes look completely normal if you just look at them and the vet said he would have been born this way and wouldn't know any different.

awww poor louie:( he's got no trouble sniffing out nice wires to chew tho - and he has a lovely mummy who gives his the best care:D

Its ok, Winnie does have a great deal of sight either, I just make allowences for it... I dont move things around too much and I put a 'bridge' over the edge of the indoor cage 'base' to help her see where the edge was..... as she kept jumping and misjudging it and landing with her tummy on the ledge!! She also has Rimmi too and an amazing nose!! She smelt an apple in my bag and didnt even think about how scary the bag might be before she dove in! It was so funny!! I also have just made them a pen and made sure to make a 'solid' door so she can tell whether the door is open or not (she has binky fits and I didnt want her to charge into mesh!!)

Most importantly, I dont sneak up on them, I quite often lie on the floor and let them climb all over me and smell me (Rimmis peed on me once too..!!), I never grab her from above or stroke her from the front or below.... I usually let her come to me if she wants cuddle and I use alot of sound with her, you know, just talking nonsense really...... :)

Its not the end of the world, good luck :)

Ahhh, poor little Louie. But agree with the other posts above ^^ he obviously is doing really well anyway and is perfectly happy.

(I love Louie, his pics in your siggie always make me smile)

Snowy has hardly any sight and the vet told us that Molly is now practically blind- they are both very relaxed, content bunnies ( except Snowy, when he gets groomed.:lol:)

They adapt very well.:D

Honey had an eye removed and minimal sight in her remaining one.
She does fab, when I clean them out I try not to move stuff around, she has a little ramp to get into the hutch too.
The boys look after her though.

I just always talk to her when I'm comeing when I'm near her, more for my benefit I think :lol:

awww atleast it was from birth and hes not missing what he never had.. shame hell never get to look in a mirror and see how gorgeous he is tho :(

its surprising how well they adapt, mowgli in his last year with us had cateracts in both eyes and was completely blind, yet he knew where everything was, and felt his way around if he wasn't sure, he also had help from rosie

Poor Louie. From what I've heard about him, and from others' experiences in this thread, he should adapt really well though.

I had Faith's poor sight confirmed at her myxo jag visit too, although the vet couldn't say how bad her sight is. I speak to her a lot, especially before approaching her, otherwise she tends to bite! She's an indoor bunny just now, and I need to let her play in the kitchen as she tends to run into things too much in the lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh bless him poor boy - sounds like he is doing well though. Is it in both eyes?

Yes, both eyes :(

We always speak to him as we approach but he still bolts, usually bashing himself on the table leg :(

He does seem happy enough just very easily startled. He loves to follow the cat around though :D

Yes, both eyes :(

We always speak to him as we approach but he still bolts, usually bashing himself on the table leg :(

He does seem happy enough just very easily startled. He loves to follow the cat around though :D

Alvin is like this but im sure its deafness that startles him, how is Louie's hearing?

His hearing seems fine. If say he is in the garden with me, I will call him and his ears ***** up and he will run towards me :D

Back