• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panacur?

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Panacur is so confusing!! Which one do I need? I have two giant rabbits who weigh about 6 kilos each, so need a panacur which is cost effective! Obviously the paste one would work out far too expensive, because it would mean using about 3 tubes on each rabbit :? :lol:

However, the paste is 18%... but the liquid one comes in two stregths, which is 10% and 25%. Which one do I go for? Is it the 25%? Because surely if I give the 10% one, it would mean I would have to give them alot more?

thanks guys :wave:

ETA - completley ignore me, its 2.5% not 25%... I read it wrong!! :oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
I've used the paste in the past ... but, just to (potentially) add to your panacur confusion, do you actually need it? I think the consensus is that it's only for active EC or when introducing a new rabbit (both requiring a 28 day course), and the routine 9 day course is now not recommended.

It's still not a huge amount though - before fenbendazole was licensed for bunnies I used to use 0.2ml/kg (I think - do a search and you should find it) of the 10% strength, so even on your giants it's not a huge amount :)

I'm doing it to actually treat worms.... the rabbits keep drinking out of the pond, and being outdoor buns, they are open to everything...and I am sure both of them are losing weight. I've tried increasing food, but they both seem a bit boney to me :? I know about Noisettes condition because of her chronic abscess problems, but Oscar seems to have lost weight too? So I thought I would worm them to actually rule out worms!

Janak - you want the Panacur 10% liquid for dogs and cats. It's 0.2ml/kg so by my maths you'll want 1.2ml for a 6kg bun.

Oh brilliant, thank you Santa and Sue! How long should the course be for treatment of worms? thank you! :wave:

I think the makers recommend 9 days, but I've done 5 days in the past and it's successfully gotten rid of worms :wave:

thank you! :wave: Have just bought some (£13.99) so will start their dose today! can you physically see the worms in the buns poos like with cats and dogs?

sorry for all the questions :oops:

I thought my lot had worms once - they were thin white strips about 2mm wide and 5-10mm long and all joined together side by side. I gathered a load up and took them to my vets who in turn sent them off to the lab. Turns out it was 'vegetable matter' :oops:. Even my vet said they looked like worms but when inspected under a microscope were found to have no internal parts etc.

Found these pictures :shock: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nematodes.PDF

I thought my lot had worms once - they were thin white strips about 2mm wide and 5-10mm long and all joined together side by side. I gathered a load up and took them to my vets who in turn sent them off to the lab. Turns out it was 'vegetable matter' :oops:. Even my vet said they looked like worms but when inspected under a microscope were found to have no internal parts etc.

Found these pictures :shock: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nematodes.PDF

:lol::lol: I bet that will end up being me!

Thank you for the link though... :shock: those pictures are shocking! I'll look out for them, they are disgusting!!

Back