• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scared to Neuture

Sligeach

Young Bun
I have Henrik booked in for his neutering next Friday, changed appointment to that day so that I have all weekend then to spend with him taking care and making sure he feels loved. When I rang the vet this morning I asked the questions advised to ask on this site, they regularly neuter rabbits etc etc and they advised me correctly about the food so was quite pleased. But then she told me that the procedure is not 100% safe and due to their small size they might suffer under anesthetic and now I just feel all scared and unsure as it would really break my heart if anything happened to him. Can someone please assure me I am doing the right thing.:(

There is a risk to any anaesthetic in person or animal. With a decent vet the risk is minimal. They do have to highlight the risk though because they can't ever guarantee everything will be ok, same as we can't say that either.

However, I have 10 neutered males here and know it was completely the right thing to do for them. They are much happier without the hormones, than with.

As long as you have a good vet the risk is very low, they have to mention it though, yes you are doing the right thing and sounds like you are happy with your vet so that's about all you can do :)

Ah thanks guys... I actually feel all teary even just thinking of it. I suppose yes they do have to say that, just the words really cut me as I wasn't even thinking of that situation. :love:

I find those days the hardest (well, any day my bunny is going under a GA). Try to keep busy and plan lots of things.

I have one of mine in for a GA and x-ray today and gave him a big cuddle (and had a cry) before I took him in and told him how much he was loved and that he better come home in one piece very quickly. When you love them, its hard, but sometimes what is hard for us and them is what is best for them too.

I have two going in next week then prob another two soon after that. I frett everytime, it never gets any easier, but it is so worth it. One of my new boys has started spraying and humping my arm :oops: which I've never experienced before and its driving me crazy.

I'm really scared to get my little bun neutered aswell... :(
but i know its the right thing to do and it will be worth it as we want to get him a friend and will be easier to bind them x

Trust me I understand the concern and the tears!! I have been in tears since 8.45am today casue my little man has to stay at the vets until4.30pm.
You are making the right choice though, I felt the same when we first had Jims, we had him 2 weeks before he was neutered and beleive me I was the same, a nervous wreck, in tears and calling the vet ALL the time.
Boy buns are much more well behaved after neutering, they are also likely to become agressive if not neutered.

I've just booked Tinkerbell in with Jason Burgess to be spayed next Friday, so there will be lots of nails being bitten that day! :lol:

im so scared to give my little skipper in! and i was very dissapointed to learn that my regular vet (that i take my dog to) is not a rabbit savvy vet! so now i need to take poor skipper all the way down to busy and scary toronto, which makes it even harder for me!
whats the best thing for them when they come home? just some soft fleecey blankets and maybe a cuddle toy?

Back