• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are your thoughts on partner swapping?!

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ralph has been bossing Ruby around quite a lot over the last few months. THere's no question that they're bonded and in love, but all the fur pulling and occasional biting is one-way - him to her. She is incredibly submissive and just lets him do anything to her without putting up a fight, and occasionally goes off her food because he just won't let her have any and boxes her if she comes near it.

Now... I tried Buzz and Ruby in a neutral space for about an hour yesterday and there was none of that... no chasing, no fur-pulling, just general indifference. That's good isn't it? When I first put Ralph and Ruby together there was full-on aggression from Ralph that only died down after I persisted with it and Ruby became very submissive. (I watched her very carefully when I put her back with Ralph, and there was no aggression from Ralph and he obviously couldn't smell Buzz on her.)

Anyway, do you think I should bond Ruby and Buzz and then bond Ralph with a bossier, less submissive girl from honeybunnies? Would that make more sense?

When I read your title I thought 'wouldn't this be best in general chat' :shock: :lol:

Hmmm, tricky one. Seems a shame to split a bonded pair as you never know how well it will work out with new partners, but at the same time it's very sad for Ruby if she's being bullied. It certainly sounds like it could be better for her to be paired up with Buzz, and Ralph finds a new wifey bun.

No help am I? :lol:

It really does depend on how stressed she is getting. I took Merlin out of my trio as he was getting really stressed but they were only bonded about 4 weeks.

Do you think this caused the statis the other night?

:lol: I also thought you were into swinging or something when i saw the title..

Sooty is also completely under the thumb when they are free ranging she tries to leave the cage oreo wont let her and chases her back in :? and Oreo steals her food etc but the majority of the time they are cuddled up - this is why im trying the group bond - might give Sooty a break :lol:

Difficult one .. would all 3 of yours bond together?? It is a shame to break up a bond but as the others said it depends how much it is affecting her! With a trio Ruby might not get bullied so much?

Is it just the spring squabbling that goes on at this time of year?
When you feed them, I would give them food in two separate piles which will stop the boxing as he should be concentrating on his own.

Regarding the swap, I thought you were thinking of trading your partner in and I was going to advise you on this, but Im not sure whats the best thing to do with the bunnies. You could be worse off than you are.

Back