• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you give up your bunnies if circumstances changed?

if my health gets worse and i end up bed bound i'll have to give my bunny up as no one else can care for him fully like i do.

I would only give them up if the change in circumstances meant they were not getting basic vet treatment or were not being cleaned, which I cannot imagine happening, then they would go to my mum and dad.

I can't honestly imagine a time when I would ever give them up. Unless I was literally destitute and living on the streets.....then they'd go and stay with my family (in which case I'd want a bed too!).

But I know some people suffer from ill-health and don't have families like mine to rely on. That must be awful.

It is something I may have to consider if my health continues to deteriorate.

It would be a last resort and to have to do it would mean my life was over.

I would only ever give up my bunnies if I was ACTUALLY homeless..... I would be scared of other homeless people trying to steal them off me, and being housebunnehs, I wouldnt want them to get ill :(

Tricky one. Some of my are from the RSPCA so should go back there if I needed to rehome them, but I take the ones that the RSPCA would PTS if I didn't take them, so I would be sending them off for a death sentence :|

Some of my others pine when I'm not about or are super sensitive.

I think my family would care for them if I couldn't, although they wouldn't do it as well as I can. I have looked into foster homes for the ones who would be ok going elsewhere because there is a possibility that need may arise.

It would be a complete last resort though. Its best for me to have them here, and more important than that, its better for them to be here. When the latter became untrue, then I would have to rethink, whatever caused it or whatever it meant.

I think each person has to consider their individual circumstances.
Also its important to ask for help/advice if one is struggling to cope.
Most people will have thought about who they might ask to look after the buns if they weren't well etc, and have people they could ask for help. I think finances are a problem for many.

Hope you're not offended, but should this not be theoretical question and you think you need help Graeme,in any way, you will find that RU members are a pretty helpful lot and there have been numerous occasions when forum members have helped people they don't actually know, as I think we all put the welfare of bunnies foremost.
sue:wave:

I have had good backup as I have a husband, 3 adult children ,my mum and my sister all of whom would have been able to look after my bunies.

For me it would be the point where I could not give them everything they deserved. eg, Shots, veterinary care, space to be happy content bunnies, things that are effected by events out of my control after i had exhausted every other possibility available. At the present moment my rabbits have more space to rabbit then human to space! :lol: If my circumstances changed to a point where their welfare was in jeopardy then It would be selfish for me to keep them. Obviously these are things I thought of before i took on the responsibility. :) Womble is looking at me playing pretend to be asleep and that face would make even the hardest of hearts melt :love:

It's hard to say, as I don't like to think of anything happening but nobody knows what life is going to throw at us. I would do my utmost to keep all my animals, unless it was in their best interests to rehome.......

and then I'd give them to Louise and Gus. :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

It's hard to say, as I don't like to think of anything happening but nobody knows what life is going to throw at us. I would do my utmost to keep all my animals, unless it was in their best interests to rehome.......

and then I'd give them to Louise and Gus
. :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Good point well made. She's just been added to my list. ;)

Hmmm...so would I. We'd better hope that nothing happens to Karen, BobbleG and me at the same time. Dave would have a fit :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: We'd better hope nothing happens to Lou either. :lol:

and then I'd give them to Louise and Gus. :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

I'd take them in a minute :love:

I don't have bunnies at the moment, so no-one need worry, but I'd give 'em to Santa. :p

Seriously, if any of my pets weren't getting their basic needs met adequately (cleaning, able to pay vet bills etc), I'd reluctantly rehome, either temporarily or permanently.

my death.

every decision i make puts my animals first. when we move to scotland there will be a bunny room and space for the chippies. nothing else matters. money will never be an issue because we have family who will help if we ever get desperate same as having somewhere to live. if i got bad health then Ste would do day to day care (he dont know that yet haha)

altho last time we had this thread i was told i cant say never :roll:

Back