• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White milky eye discharge,foster bun UPDATED 1/4/10

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, just looking for some advice although will get to the vets tomorrow I think, I have noticed the foster rex rabbit I have at the moment has a milky white sort of discharge coming from his eyes. I noticed it yesterday after he had been running around and again today :? Any ideas what this is? Infection/Dental please tell me it's not likely to be contagious to my two:(

Edited to add, he has not had a brilliant time of it, a diet of straw and dried food:roll: I am sort of hoping it's teeth related I suppose rather than an infection. He is eating, totally bright and his eyes don't look swollen/sore and the discharge is fluid literally like milk coming from his eye but, not a lot unless that is him cleaning it:?

Last edited:
hmm poor bunny, have you been cleaning them?? has it come back after cleaning them?

Cant help you sorry, It could be teeth if he hasnt had a good diet - has it just started? or has he had it since you got him... conjunctivitis maybe? Hopefully not Myxi :cry:

Best get him checked out - Good Luck X

I think Vicki it does sound likely to be his teeth poor lad - he might need a dental & possibly his tear ducts flushing :( Our first housebun Roscoe used to have this occur regularly & each time it happened he needed a dental as it seem to be triggered by the spurs that had grown on his teeth. He did have really bad maloclusion though & was a dreadful hay eater. Hopefully your little foster lad's might be easily sorted, but best to get him checked :)

I'd say infection is more likely than dental tbh, but it could be either. I'd be really careful in handling him etc with your other two - feed and clean him out last, wash you hands etc and change your top if you handle him. Hopefully its fairly simple though and can be sorted out.

Hi Kath, when I got him I noticed the next day (in day light) his eyes looked wet on the fur but, I didn't see any discharge, I did notice some at the weekend but, it was more clear mucous looking and I cleaned them slightly then yesterday after a run around he had what looked like milk around the eye on both eyes:shock: I cleaned it and didn't see it again till after he ran around again today:? I will take him tomorrow, trouble is he is their rabbit and they are possibly wanting him back as he is the children's pet:roll: I am in a bit of situation really as I think he needs to be neutered and vacc'd and I would keep him but, I am not sure if they are going to insist on him going back, he is very happy in himself, eating like a horse and binkying today - bless him, I suppose because he now has hay and more space etc he will feel happier - I think I will have to speak to them tomorrow and come to an agreement for his sake :?

Thanks for the replies, I am being careful with regards washing hands etc and cleaning him out last etc - he is outside and keeps spraying urine as he can see Ness - he can't reach her with it but, it has caught me a couple of times:roll: I know he is about two ish, and they didn't know he needed hay so have been providing straw and a dry museli type mix, since he has been here I have been giving him gradually more greens etc watching his poops and he is loving it, I am not even sure they would have fed any greens:? I will have to get her permission I think won't I even if I am paying?

Hi Kath, when I got him I noticed the next day (in day light) his eyes looked wet on the fur but, I didn't see any discharge, I did notice some at the weekend but, it was more clear mucous looking and I cleaned them slightly then yesterday after a run around he had what looked like milk around the eye on both eyes:shock: I cleaned it and didn't see it again till after he ran around again today:? I will take him tomorrow, trouble is he is their rabbit and they are possibly wanting him back as he is the children's pet:roll: I am in a bit of situation really as I think he needs to be neutered and vacc'd and I would keep him but, I am not sure if they are going to insist on him going back, he is very happy in himself, eating like a horse and binkying today - bless him, I suppose because he now has hay and more space etc he will feel happier - I think I will have to speak to them tomorrow and come to an agreement for his sake :?

Awww hope you can get something sorted with them. It is really bad if they wont vacc him? And neuter too. He sounds a lovely little chappie and sounds like he is really happy with you.

What is worrying is if he does have any ongoing tooth/tearduct problems then would they be prepared to get him the vet treatment he needs, if they wont even vacc him? Poor little mite could really suffer....

Thanks for the replies, I am being careful with regards washing hands etc and cleaning him out last etc - he is outside and keeps spraying urine as he can see Ness - he can't reach her with it but, it has caught me a couple of times:roll: I know he is about two ish, and they didn't know he needed hay so have been providing straw and a dry museli type mix, since he has been here I have been giving him gradually more greens etc watching his poops and he is loving it, I am not even sure they would have fed any greens:? I will have to get her permission I think won't I even if I am paying?

Yes I think you would have to get her permission. I would. What a shame, he doesnt sound like he is getting proper basic care with his owners, and he could have a happy life with you....would you be able to and like to keep him? Do you think they would be willing to let you keep him? Are they friends of yours?

Hi Vicki

I had something similar with Starbuck last week - see link below:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=220944&highlight=starbuck

I took him to the vet the next day and she thought it was infected and gave me some Baytril for him to have, which cleared that bit up.

(Also had tearduct flush, x-ray and teeth done but that has been an ongoing thing for him anyway).

Good luck at the vets tomorrow.
Helen

:wave: Hi Helen, I did see that one and that's why I thought I would post another one-was the discharge Starbuck had like milk but, he was alright in himself?

Yes I think you would have to get her permission. I would. What a shame, he doesnt sound like he is getting proper basic care with his owners, and he could have a happy life with you....would you be able to and like to keep him? Do you think they would be willing to let you keep him? Are they friends of yours?

Neighbours of mine, who are having a few personal probs, she was being taken into hospital last week and he had left with the kids to stay at his parents so bunny would have been left - i didn't know for how long and he was dirty with no food and half a bottle of water, no hay only straw so I took him and brought him here, cleaned out and filled up with hay etc:) He is a lovely little chap, apart from the hormones causing spraying now and again.

It's a really long story and I won't go into the details as it's not appropriate really but, I spoke to her at the weekend and I think she indicated she would like him back as he is the 'kids' pet, they run around the garden with him:roll: I think she may have been saying it because she wants to get the children back home and it's another part of 'normality' for them, I explained to her that I thought he was ill possibly and that his hutch (4ft double storey) isn't really big enough and that I would keep him and give him a good life, get him neutered, vacc'd etc - she did seem genuinely concerned that she hadn't fed him hay and he has had his nails trimmed before. I left it that she would go away to think about it, I have been discussing it with OH and was going to offer her some money to see if she will let him come here. I will speak to her in the morning and hopefully she will be decent and let me take him to the vet.

:wave: Hi Helen, I did see that one and that's why I thought I would post another one-was the discharge Starbuck had like milk but, he was alright in himself?

Hi yeah it was like milk (he often has discharge, but normally it is clear). He was fine in himself (tho he is often subdued when his eyes are bothering him, so he was a bit like that - but then that is often his normal self. He is almost like a different bunny now his tearducts have been flushed!)

Neighbours of mine, who are having a few personal probs, she was being taken into hospital last week and he had left with the kids to stay at his parents so bunny would have been left - i didn't know for how long and he was dirty with no food and half a bottle of water, no hay only straw so I took him and brought him here, cleaned out and filled up with hay etc:) He is a lovely little chap, apart from the hormones causing spraying now and again.

It's a really long story and I won't go into the details as it's not appropriate really but, I spoke to her at the weekend and I think she indicated she would like him back as he is the 'kids' pet, they run around the garden with him:roll: I think she may have been saying it because she wants to get the children back home and it's another part of 'normality' for them, I explained to her that I thought he was ill possibly and that his hutch (4ft double storey) isn't really big enough and that I would keep him and give him a good life, get him neutered, vacc'd etc - she did seem genuinely concerned that she hadn't fed him hay and he has had his nails trimmed before. I left it that she would go away to think about it, I have been discussing it with OH and was going to offer her some money to see if she will let him come here. I will speak to her in the morning and hopefully she will be decent and let me take him to the vet.

Its good that they sound reasonable and open to be educated about the bunnies needs. I guess if they really insist on having him back then at least you can help with that side of things, as you have been already. I hope things work out with getting him to the vet. Hopefully if it is 'just' an infection it wont cost too much at the vets.

You never know but if they have been having problems it may be one less stress for her and her husband to have to worry about, and I dont know if you would be open to her kids visiting the rabbit? Very difficult though isnt it, when you can see what really should be done for the poor little mite and he isnt actually yours to do anything about.

Keep us updated with how you get on, if you can!

Thanks Helen, hopefully I will get it sorted for him, it's not constant but, I have noticed it a few times now - he's been here a week, I just wonder how long it's been going on:? Poor little chap. Thanks for the advice everyone x

Its good that they sound reasonable and open to be educated about the bunnies needs. I guess if they really insist on having him back then at least you can help with that side of things, as you have been already. I hope things work out with getting him to the vet. Hopefully if it is 'just' an infection it wont cost too much at the vets.

You never know but if they have been having problems it may be one less stress for her and her husband to have to worry about, and I dont know if you would be open to her kids visiting the rabbit? Very difficult though isnt it, when you can see what really should be done for the poor little mite and he isnt actually yours to do anything about.

Keep us updated with how you get on, if you can!

Yes will do :)

Thanks Helen, hopefully I will get it sorted for him, it's not constant but, I have noticed it a few times now - he's been here a week, I just wonder how long it's been going on:? Poor little chap. Thanks for the advice everyone x

Yeah it makes you wonder. Poor little man. He is in good hands with you now though. So at least for the time being it can be sorted. It might all be part of your bargaining to keep him, ie that he has these health needs which you are willing to address for him....?

Good luck with it all, must be hard trying to look after the little fella and also trying not to get tooooo attached...

Helen x

Yeah it makes you wonder. Poor little man. He is in good hands with you now though. So at least for the time being it can be sorted. It might all be part of your bargaining to keep him, ie that he has these health needs which you are willing to address for him....?

Good luck with it all, must be hard trying to look after the little fella and also trying not to get tooooo attached...
Helen x

It is, I have always said I won't foster as I do get too attached, however I didn't hesitate really when I saw the litter tray and no hay not knowing how long he would have been left like it. I think your right, even if he has to go back at least he will be better off - we might offer them a run to attach to his hutch aswell and I will give her some hay and the hayexperts website! We shall see, hopefully she will realise the kids will get over it and let him stay, then I can get him neutered and a wifey !

Update

:wave: Been to the vets today, foster bun is now adopted :D He has a little infection in his eyes and I have Fucithalmic eye ointment for him twice a day.
He is booked in for his neutering and they will check teeth and flush his tear ducts? Is this necessary, a good idea? Any info appreciated, what I mean is will it cause an ongoing problem if he has them done? His teeth seemed OK from the basic check and he checked all over (gentials) etc so hopefully it is just an infection and the ointment will clear it for him. He was a really good boy for the vet aswell :D

Had to take Ness aswell as her spay wound has a slight swelling, not red or leaking or anything but, wanted it checked before the weekend, he said it is quite common and put a needle into it and drained some brown water type liquid out of it, apparently that is fine not infected and I just need to keep an eye on it but it should disperse naturally over time or if it swells and I want it drained I can go in again? Anyone else have experience of this?

:wave: Been to the vets today, foster bun is now adopted :D He has a little infection in his eyes and I have Fucithalmic eye ointment for him twice a day.
He is booked in for his neutering and they will check teeth and flush his tear ducts? Is this necessary, a good idea? Any info appreciated, what I mean is will it cause an ongoing problem if he has them done? His teeth seemed OK from the basic check and he checked all over (gentials) etc so hopefully it is just an infection and the ointment will clear it for him. He was a really good boy for the vet aswell :D

Had to take Ness aswell as her spay wound has a slight swelling, not red or leaking or anything but, wanted it checked before the weekend, he said it is quite common and put a needle into it and drained some brown water type liquid out of it, apparently that is fine not infected and I just need to keep an eye on it but it should disperse naturally over time or if it swells and I want it drained I can go in again? Anyone else have experience of this?

Hi Vicki,

Was hoping to read an update on this little chap!!! So are you officially his owner now? If so, congratulations! I am really pleased for you. Starbuck is on the Fucithalmic drops too at the moment.

Will he do an x-ray during the GA? I just ask because this showed up Starbuck's molars roots which are slightly elongated (hope I am using the right terminology here) and how these were pressing slightly on his tear ducts. Because of this, there is a kink in his tear ducts which makes it difficult for the fluid to clear through. So the vet did a flush which has moved most of it out and she also put some antibiotics directly into them. I think this might give you an idea of any underlying and potential future problems. If the vet doesnt think this is necessary, I would still have a tear duct flush as I think if there is a build up of fluid it helps to clear it, and means that the medicine can actually get in to where it is meant to be.

I have only had this problem with Starbuck so I can only go on my own experience. Perhaps someone with more experience and knowledge (thinking Jacks-Jane!) might be able to advise better than I can.

Starbuck's eyes are still very watery and runny so I am not sure if everything is as it should be, am going back next week for a check-up. But on the other hand he has become more lively than he was so I dont think it is causing him as much trouble in himself.

I dont know anything about spays or neutering sorry.

So, does the little chap have a name?

:wave: Hi Helen, yes he is mine now :D Just been bedding the two outdoors ones down he is nice and toasty and comfy, his eyes actually looked a bit better I think already and he is certainly not off his food :lol:Had a chat with them today and they said that whilst their little girl had said she wanted her bunny back they thought that she would forget about it and didn't actually spend that much time on him, I explained he was really happy and he was likely to need another rabbit etc etc and they agreed he would be better off with me. I celebrated by taking him to the vet poor thing, he seems in generally good health apart from needing the fucithalmic - I have ointment not drops, don't know if there is a difference:?

His name is Jungle at the moment - maybe because he is harlequin - I don't really want to keep that and was thinking maybe Jingle? Open to idea's :D

I might post a separate thread on Nessie's little swelling as I googled it but, it was coming up as common in cats:?

Thanks Helen x

Back