• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poo problems

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Bailey had a dental under GA yesterday, she was in mild stasis when she went under, since coming home lastnight she hasnt poo'd at all, shes been picking at bits all day but went mad this evening when i offerd her basil, mint and parsley, since then shes had a fair amount of those 3 and has been eating hay,
but sill no poo! i think she's pretty gassy so i was gonna go and get her some infacol in a min from asda... do u guys think infacol will make a big difference, i just dont want to leave her at the mo, but if its gonna help tht much i dont mind :?.
cant understand how she hasnt passed any droppings yet, my other concern she hasnt has much water at all today...(she wont allow herself to be syringe fed ether)
please any advice appreciated x

If she is not taking any fluids it could be creating a solid mass in her tummy? Do you serve his herbs wet?

I have found Infacol is quite helpful to relieve the gas a bit.

It seems to me that her tummy is starting to work again. Has she wee'd? Is her tummy hard & bloated?

I'd get some infacol in, but hold it in reserve for now.
Also get more herbs in, & wet them before feeding them to her.
Buns often find it easier to drink from a bowl if that's possible.
If she doesn't drink soon, I'm afraid it will have to be a bunny burrito. It's really important that they get sufficient fluids in this situation help the food in their gut move through.

Everything crossed for Bailey drinking.

ive been putting the leaves in her water bowl so she eats them outta there, she had a wee a few hours ago and drink about 4 hours ago now.
Thats whats confusing me, her tummy is really soft im giving her belly rubs to,
think i might have to go get some infacol, any ideas on the soft tum i thought there tums went quite hard in stasis
x

ive been putting the leaves in her water bowl so she eats them outta there, she had a wee a few hours ago and drink about 4 hours ago now.
Thats whats confusing me, her tummy is really soft im giving her belly rubs to,
think i might have to go get some infacol, any ideas on the soft tum i thought there tums went quite hard in stasis
x

Well done for putting her herbs in the water. That's great!

Their tums go hard when they are full up of gas/blocked. I don't see a serious gas issue here. We can tell if the gut is working by putting an ear just below the rib cage -you should hear soft tummy gurgles.

It takes up to 24 hours for the poops to come out. I'm thinking that her tummy has started up, but it's taking a while for food to pass through, & she needs lots of encouragement to keep eating & drinking.

The other thing to consider is whether the vet gave you some pain relief for Bailey for the few days after the dental.

I'm hopeful that as long as her condition holds steady, & hopefully soon starts to improve, you'll be fine through the night.

shes only eating herbs so im abit worried about upsetting her tum with to many, shes had a bit of hay aswell though, she had pain relief yesterday before the dental and meaclop for her guts and i think i hydration injection,
i took her back today as she had only eaten abit and the vet said her tum felt ok but he didnt want to give her more pain relief as she was eating small bits and he said the pain injection wouldnt help the stasis now as she seemed to be on the mend. she should hopefully pass some droppings tonight then :)

shes only eating herbs so im abit worried about upsetting her tum with to many, shes had a bit of hay aswell though, she had pain relief yesterday before the dental and meaclop for her guts and i think i hydration injection,
i took her back today as she had only eaten abit and the vet said her tum felt ok but he didnt want to give her more pain relief as she was eating small bits and he said the pain injection wouldnt help the stasis now as she seemed to be on the mend. she should hopefully pass some droppings tonight then :)

I hope so :) We tummy bunny mummies are obsessed with rabbit poops.
My bun does most of his eating during the late evening & night. they each seem to have their different routines.

Herbs are less likely to upset her tummy than veg.

I seem to remember that Bailey had some blood on her lip after the dental. It's on my mind that her mouth may have been a bit sore, so she was reluctant to tuck in earlier.

:D she just did her first poo in 2 days, didnt think id ever be this happy at the sight of poo! it was like a cecto though, oh well least somthins coming out,
yeah her mouth was very sore yesterday and today, she couldnt hold anything init for long, the vet had a look at the gums today and said not to worry about the blood as he couldnt see anything on the gums.
Shes lookin alot happier now to :)

The good thing is that buns heal up very quickly.
Yes she hasn't been able to eat enough fiber recently to make many waste poops.
If you can get them, some pet shops sell small packs of mixed dry leaves - bramble/raspberry & strawberry. Tummy buns usually love them & they're really good to get things going fast after stasis, or prevent episodes of stasis which aren't caused by a painful mouth. The only cure there is to stop the mouth being painful I'm afraid.

ive got burgess excell mountain meadow herbs and country garden herbs which shes had a bit of this time but last time she was in stasis it was all she would eat for 2 days, just found a few more droppings aswell :)
i wish she'd eat mushy pellets, at least shes eating hay i can see her munching on a big bit of timothy now, im happy shes on the mend, but i know im gonna be going through this with her again in a few months, maybe less...
will have to start a dental bunns thread at some point, hopefully ill be able to get some good tips on things that have worked to help teeth, usually can on this site, its the one thing that stops me freaking out when baileys ill :wave:

ive got burgess excell mountain meadow herbs and country garden herbs which shes had a bit of this time but last time she was in stasis it was all she would eat for 2 days, just found a few more droppings aswell :)
i wish she'd eat mushy pellets, at least shes eating hay i can see her munching on a big bit of timothy now, im happy shes on the mend, but i know im gonna be going through this with her again in a few months, maybe less...
will have to start a dental bunns thread at some point, hopefully ill be able to get some good tips on things that have worked to help teeth, usually can on this site, its the one thing that stops me freaking out when baileys ill :wave:

Bailey is eating all the things that are good for her, honest. Let her carry on.
You might want to look at some of my threads last year. Thumper has the tiniest molar spurs where his teeth don't meet, but he stops eating as soon as his tongue starts to hurt. He can get the classic trio of teeth/stasis/bladder sludge (cos he can't drink enough)

ETA trying to time the dentals right.http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=208430
urine turbidity issues http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198469&highlight=buck+urination

There are so many stasis buns with dental issues.
Hoppit's Ginger / Poppymoon's Eric & Esme /Yvette's Lilly & Randolf
Donamt's Alvin has stasis but doesn't have dental issues neither does Giantbunny mummy's Daisy.

Last edited:
Bailey is eating all the things that are good for her, honest. Let her carry on.
You might want to look at some of my threads last year. Thumper has the tiniest molar spurs where his teeth don't meet, but he stops eating as soon as his tongue starts to hurt. He can get the classic trio of teeth/stasis/bladder sludge (cos he can't drink enough)

ETA trying to time the dentals right.http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=208430
urine turbidity issues http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198469&highlight=buck+urination

There are so many stasis buns with dental issues.
Hoppit's Ginger / Poppymoon's Eric & Esme /Yvette's Lilly & Randolf
Donamt's Alvin has stasis but doesn't have dental issues neither does Giantbunny mummy's Daisy.

Thanks thumps, i think its gonna be a case of watching her really closely and catching the teeth before stasis, shes like herself again now today, shes eaten a fairbit overnight, wee'd passed droppings and is hopping about,
x

Glad your little one is improving :)

Early signs that my Santa needs a dental are that she starts chewing her food in an odd way...if she's grazing on the lawn she picks strands in her teeth and yanks her head backwards rather than snipping it off with her teeth. Buns are supposed to chew in a side-to-side rather than an up-down action so again keep an eye on this to look for changes as well as in the speed of eating slowing down. If I give Santa something very soft like a tiny piece of banana and she chews it up-down, I know that her teeth need doing as it indicates that there are points sticking up which are preventing her from chewing normally.

The single thing I find makes a big difference when they do go in for dentals is if the vet gives them s/c fluids at the same time. Buns guts dry out very easily and an actual fluid injection seems to make a huge difference. Might be worth asking your vet next time your one is due.

Hope she continues to recover well :)

is s/c fluids the same as a hydration injection (where the water stuff sits beneath the skin)
im not looking forward to her next one, she loses alot of weight when she goes in to stasis even if its just for a day or two so ive been fattining her up abit :oops: ,

is s/c fluids the same as a hydration injection (where the water stuff sits beneath the skin)
im not looking forward to her next one, she loses alot of weight when she goes in to stasis even if its just for a day or two so ive been fattining her up abit :oops: ,

Awww. that's great news :D:D:D:D:D You & Bailey make a great team :thumb:

Yes, s/c fluids are the same as a hydration injection.
I think we are all on a learning curve with our individual buns. You'll soon get the hang of those subtle changes which mean that Bailey needs a dental. Thumper is unusual with his drinking issues. I know that when his drinking gets noisy, & he tries to get more fluids from his food he's about 10 days away from a dental.

Some people find that Burn's Green Oats Hay is good for putting weight on buns.

Ideally they need hay to help to keep the teeth worn down. I suspect that if the malocclusion (teeth don't meet) is slight & the bun is young when he has his 1st. dental, there is enough suppleness in the joint of the jaw (Temperomandibular joint - tmj) to get a better side to side movement once the "door stop" of the spurs is removed. Once a bun is older, I suspect that the ligaments etc have stiffened up the tmj irreversably, & they may have developed a bad chewing technique to avoid hurting their tongue on the teeth.

Having said that, most buns under the age of 5 or so, need dentals less frequently with time.

I would suggest that you go out & out for coarse stalky hay as well, & even bark from apple tree twigs, to encourage her to chew. These high fiber foods are essential for the motility of bunny guts. Excercise is just as important. When the gut is working at full speed our buns eat more, they are less likely to get a build up of the wrong sort of bacteria in their guts, and therefore stasis.
[These wrong bacteria can make toxins which slow down the gut, or ferment the food to lots of gas which is painful & slows down the gut.]

You'll find out what works best for your bun. I've every confidence in you both. :D

i had apple tree twigs and bark suggested to me, not sure where to get though as i dont trust wild ones not to be sprayed or somthing, do u kno of any websites? x

The wild ones growing in hedges won't be sprayed, unless it's wind drift from crop spraying adjacent fields. You are OK with pastureland in the adjacent field. Another source is old Inns. Round here they often have apple trees from the days when they made cider on site, & don't spray.

Some one on RU currently has a few bundles left. ? Rabbit chat thread.

will google them and see if any rabb shops have them and start a thread, am thinking of starting a bunny dentals thread just to get the dental bunns together and find out as much info as i can, not sure wther to doit in health or rabb chat thou :? x

Back