• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor set ups, need help deciding!

beki

Mama Doe
i have been pondering and pondering and pondering about this for months and now it is April i need to ponder faster if the buns are to go back outside soon. here is the ponder -

3 foot high x7x6x7x9 feet (irregular shape and i will use the whole lot if it kills me) or

6 foot high x7x6x7x9

so really 6 foot v 3 foot.

My BF is having a moan that 6 foot will be an eyesore in the garden and because of the position i have selected it will cover a "feature wall" , but then 3 foot will also cover it. I was leaning towards 3 foot but now on consideration i would like 6 foot, actually 5 foot would be idea, but i donlt seem to ahev come across any aviary panels online at 5 foot with prices. I am 5 foot 8 though so 6 foot would mean i wouldn't have to bend.

I would have atleast 2 sides solid if i had a 6 foot, possibly also if i had a 3 foot and either size would have a solid roof.

i really don't know what to do. i want a dog kennel but i hardly have any flat garden and because of the shape of my garden, it isn't wide enough for a dog kennel except right at the end of the garden (my garden is about 20 + meters long) and i really cant see myself going up the steep steps up there in the dark of winter...we have no outdoor electrics and to upgrade our fusebox to allow this is out of our budget at the moment.

oh if it was 6 foot, hutch would go inside the run - best for being fox proof i suppose. if 3 foot i will have to attach the run to the back of the hutch. Its for 2 bunnies

sorry i have posted about this a number of times but it is a really big decision and thought someone might have some good advice. I just can't make up my mind!

thanks

there is people that do 5ft tall ones
wells poultry do them .. and lots of companies will custom make aviaries to fit!

Its difficult isnt it - I have been looking at these as well but dont really want 6 ft as it will be so tall but smaller you will have to stoop!!

3ft is plenty tall for bunnies but will mean you wont be able to get in with them (which is what I want to do)..

If you can get 6ft in I would do that but I can see your OH point that it will look an eyesore :? Maybe hanging baskets extra might help??

sorry im not much help :lol:

I would try and go for the 6ft one so you can get inside it. As said above- hanging baskets would make it less of an eyesore?

If you have a big enough space, you could put a square of decking up (on stilts)- To make the un even ground flat enough for a kennel and run as you wanted?

:wave:

thanks for the replies :)

i would love a kennel but just had to sign up for a 1 year payment for a new boiler as ours died so can't afford to do a lot of work on the garden at the mo. Decking is one of the things on my list so maybe i will consider that for the future. The decking idea is a good one.

hanging baskets too are a good idea. I figures 6 foot really isn't much bigger than an average shed. I will work on him with the 6 foot idea. i was thinking of a solid roof too, possibly felt lined so i could put pots on it and stuff to make it look pretty

I had a 3.5 foot high one built and I'm buying a shed now to attach on because I'm sick of having to squat down to get in. The roof does lift up for cleaning but there is still a batton of wood above the door that you have to stoop under. Def 6 feet - you will be glad in the end run! Buns are hard enough to look after without making MORE work for yourself ;)

i def agree with the bending down and climbing in the run thing, that is definately swaying me to 6ft. Reggie is hard enough to catch anyway without having to crawl around or climb over stuff so a big one would definateyl help. It would be so much easier if my garden had a better lay out then i could just put it against a fence but it would have to be right in the middle.

i will have to post pics of my garden to give people an idea of what i am talking about. I wish i had bought a house with a practical garden. i liked the garden when i got the house but i hate it now! didn't have bunnies when i got it tho.

Back