• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Apologies - Poo Pics (worried)

Living_a_lie

Mama Doe
I know this gets asked ALLLL The time, but I have looked at the internet over and over, and I am unsure whether Selina's poos are the usual kind (the one beginning with C that I can't spell to save my life) or not.. I know they are flat because she sits on them but I'm still worried.
GEDC0023.jpg

here she doesn't sit as much so I'm hoping she just sits on the squishy poo which makes it look flat
GEDC0026.jpg

:(

Lol lovely poo piccie! These are caecotrophes and she should be eating them. naughty bunny!!!

Looks like she needs a less rich diet so that she 'attends' to her poos and gobbles them up. Try slowly giving less pellets etc and more HAY until she starts eating them (the new ones I mean - don't serve up the old poos to her:oops::shock::shock::shock:)

Yep they look like cecotropes to me.

Basically, with a healthy rabbit on a good diet you should never see these I am afraid:(

But if your bun is healthy then it is an easily solved problem. One that will also benefit your bun in lots of other ways to:) (With teeth, deterrent against fly strike etc.)

I am guessing that your bun gets a big bowl full off pellets a day? Mine only get a table spoon each, split into two meals, morning and night, a day. Feegal used to get unlimited Russel Rabbit food and he never ate his cecotropes as he did not need to and my poor boy was so fat he couldn't reach them:(

They should have a diet of 90% hay and the rest made up of safe veg and pellets, all to do be introduced very gradually, one thing at a time.

Any questions?:oops::lol:

Last edited:
I feed her a big handful in the morning and night, and a tiny handful of pellets in the day as she seems to get hungry :(

Hahah sorry parsnip lol.

Thanks for the advice. I have been giving her more treats lately, so will cut down on that :O I assume she eats all these and then leaves hay whereas before she was eating lots of hay and I hardly gave her treats.

I have cleaned out all the old poops and given her lots of fresh hay. Will make sure not to give her as many treats - maybe one or two (she esspecially likes the little crunchie stick things from pets corner :lol: ) during the day etc instead of at meal times.

Hi there

Please don't ever apologise for pictures of poo! We love them and they can help you to learn an awful lot abour your bunnies health.

For example....

These are of one of my buns Tululah. She eats a lot of hay and produces a nice big golden poo. It shows that she has lots of fibre in her system and isn't getting too many other things that make her poos small and hard.

TululahBunMarch2010001.jpg

And these are not so good - a bunny who was on a poor diet when she came into rescue...........

IMG_4631.jpg

see the ability of poo to give you clues to your bunnies' health.:D

I will have to post piccies of Snowdrops poo one day! Hers are all different shapes and sizes because of her gut condition.

A large handful of pellets twice a day plus more during the day is far too much! I give 2 tablespoons at 7am and 2 tablespoons at 11pm and the rest of the day they have hay. All 3 of mine are great hay eaters and Bungle and Strawberry do lovely golden poos.

HAHA!! It's like Gillian McKeith for rabbits :) dexter would give me a filthy look as if to say 'how undignified mum' if i took photos of his poop. :lol:

HAHA!! It's like Gillian McKeith for rabbits :) dexter would give me a filthy look as if to say 'how undignified mum' if i took photos of his poop. :lol:

:lol::lol: You could always get some fibreplex for a couple of days, personally i would cut the pellets right down and feed a handful of spring greens chopped just once a day wet for a couple of days and just lots of good quality hay, oat hay is really good for encouraging them to eat hay.

This thread is awesome, as are all of you as you've just put my mind at ease and gave me advice without even knowing it :lol:

Hi!:lol::lol::lol:

Truly a great thread! Was wondering myself if I could post some poo pis! :oops::lol:

Now I shall when I take some! My 2 girls also have their (C) poos visible -I see them in the morning & today they didnt go to the litter tray! Naughty buns!

I know they supposed to eat them too - but an CONFUSED!!!!!:?

They just 11 weeks old & Ive been told to give them:
30g pellets per bun per day - according ot their weight - as said on package!

OR

unlimitted pellets all day as they still young & need to grow!

They have so far had cabbage last week & abit of sprout today.....so theyve not had much vege and Im unsure how slowly to intro. these!?
I was told over 10 days?

Ill post poo pics soon & hopefully someone can advise me on amounts to feed?!!! Worried about doing the wrong thing! Ine buns bigger & the other buns fragile & needs feeding up! Im weighing them every few days now!

They have hay all the time - fresh & they do eat it - but do LOVE the pellets - they run around me like mad! Little pellet addicts Im sure! :shock:

great thread - Maybe there should be a Poop Comparison thread with ideal poops & not so good ones with "possible solutions!"

Thanks!:love:

Back