• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New baby bunny dosnt eat

I have had a bunny for a few months now and yesterday i decided to buy another one to keep him Company. The new bunny is still young, they get on together fine as they will lick eatch other and give attention to one another. The problem is that the little one dosnt seem to be eating or drinking and tends to sleep a lot. I have tried giving him lettice and carotts aswell but still he dosnt eat. Should i worry or is it just until je gets used to his new house?

Do you know what food your new baby bunny was used to eating in the pet shop (or wherever he came from). It is really important to make sure he keeps eating the same food at first so that his stomach does not get upset as they can die very quickly from stomach problems. Lettuce is not actually good for baby bunnies. Try to get some of the same food he is used to: if he willnot eat that then please take him to the vet as soon as you can (tonight or tomorrow at the latest).

:wave: welcome to ru
how young is the rabbit as lettice is not good for a young rabbit nor is a lot of carrot try hay and pellets and maybe a little bit of herbs. does she seem well in herself?

If the baby bun is not eating it may be going in to statis, which can be very serious and needs to be caught early if you want any hope in treating it.
They can also get very dehydrated which then furthers any problems in the tummy as everything gets bunged up, so you really need to take bun to vets.
Are you able to syringe feed the bun? Would be a good idea to syringe some fluid in to him/her, either water or cooled boiled peppermint/nettle tea to hydrate the stomach contents.
Honestly an hour could be the difference between life and death, so please do not delay.

Agree, you need to get some of the food the bun used to eat and SLOWELY ween hiim/her off it by slowely introducing the new pleet form food, but only do this when you have stabalized bun.

Hello all and thanks so much for your help!
I am feeding her the same food as she ate at the pet store. Thank god she didnt eat any lettice then i took it out. when i take her out of the cage she will run around and looks more lively that what she does when she is in her cage. I was thinking of asking my vet but the problem is that i live in Cyprus and i really dont think that out vets know loads about bunnies. Btw i dnt know exactly how old she is but she is not very young she is still small in size though but thats her kind. i dont know what to do im confused =/

Does she feel 'Bloated'? Is her tummy distended at all? Does she moan when you press her tummy?

Do you have any INFACOL which is baby med for wind?

Will she eat if you hand food to her? Try some fragrant herbs like basil and mint, they are great to get buns eating.

no she is not bloated and no mowning sign when i pick her up! she ate some hay just now and she kind of makes a strange noice with her teeth as though she is nibbling when i pet her, dont know if she is having a chat with me!

The noise she is making is a good sign, they SOFTLEY grind their teeth when they are happy, it is their way of saying 'dont stop, thats nice'
The med that your vet is talking about is probably something to help the gut flora, which is great BUT will not make her eat more, I would recomend a gut stimulant such as Zantak or Metacloprimide to try and simulate her appitete- providing there is no blockage.
What are her poos like?

If your bunny is eating bits and drinking then thats a good sign, is it at all possible that your other bunn could be dominating her? there is usually a dominant bunn in a pair, your first rabbit could be bullying her in to not eating, do they both share a food bowl or do they have seperates?

Do you know the sex of the new Bunny ?

Is your origional Bunny neutered ?

Do you know what diet the new Bunny had previously ? Has he/she passed faeces and are they well formed ?

ok guys i have good news! she has been drinking loads of water for the past hour and is currently eating more hay! dont know what her poo is like as she still hasent pood i only got her yesterday afternoon. i have separate bowls for them dont see any signs off bullying. Both are girls and not neuterd yet!

ok guys i have good news! she has been drinking loads of water for the past hour and is currently eating more hay! dont know what her poo is like as she still hasent pood i only got her yesterday afternoon. i have separate bowls for them dont see any signs off bullying. Both are girls and not neuterd yet!

So she has not passed ANY faeces in more than 24 hours ........ :?

When a bunny does not poo after 8-12 hrs it becomes an emergancy I am afraid, so bun needs to see a vet ASAP!

Not of what i know off as i said she is in with the other bunny. havent seen any signs of Diarrhea either though.

To be honest putting her straight in with the other Bunny as soon as you bought her was not the best idea. It's always best to allow a Baby Bun a few days to settle in and for you to make sure she/he is eating and pooing.

If she has not passed faeces for 24 hours then that is a major concern.

yes but maybe she has but i couldnt know for sure as she is in with the other rabbit! she does seem more active at the moment. I will look out to see what her poo is like!

I have the feeling this is stress related. When a new bunny comes into your home they are naturally nervous, there are new strange sounds, smells and sights. They take a little while to adapt to their new environment and need to be allowed quiet time to adjust. Placing immediately with another bunny will cause elevated stress levels.

I would suggest separating them as an urgent priority to remove some of the stress. It will also allow you to accurately monitor exactly what the new bun is doing in regards to eating, drinking, pooing etc. The original bunny will have determined that the cage is hers and may resent the imposed presence of a new cage mate and dominate space and food. It can't be fully undone now, but a period of quarantine is recommended to establish whether the new bun is carrying anything transmissible such as mites and/or fleas, worms, pasteurella or coccidia.

Bunnies tend to divide their world into three categories; mine, yours and ours. That is; what is mine is mine exclusively, yours is yours exclusively and ours is common ground we can share together. Mostly they are respectful of each other's property but can be irrational when hormones kick in.

It is a good thing to have a bunny friend for your bunny but rushing in can sometimes have a detrimental effect for a long lasting bond.

Keep asking questions, it is the only way to find valuable information.

Hi Lobo and thnks for ur relply! Bunnies are now separate and she is gettin better drinkin more water and some hay. Also took her to the vet and gave me some med for her! keep fingers crossed she gets better !

Back