• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dora vet appointment im worried about her. update

bunlover

Warren Veteran
well the vet is most concerned that her wiehgt has droped from 2.3 to 1.9kg (.4kg) and she is now underweight..i feel awful about this but she is eating jsut not all her pellets she still grazing adn eating hay and veg and hard treats.
he did visual check on teeth no visual problems. he has now taken 2 samples from her runny nose though says only the one nostral is inflamed and only the one side is runny. he doesnt suspect snuffles as she has little other symptoms but has not ruled it out. he has sent the samples of snot to lab for analysis one is a microbiological test the other a cytomic (or sounding similar) test. but for now she is on metacam, baytril, bio lapis and being fed additional greens he doesnt want to sedate her or put her under anestetic for x rays or thorough look just yet as wants to try all other avenues due to her respiritory issues(nose snot/inflammation) her being underwieght and her age (5yrs) he will use anestetic/sedation if other causes ruled out.

bit worried about her she ate baby food and lots of greens last night and is very bright in herself..though her poos are tiny hard and black :( she is indoors with arthur while she is unwell as keeping her warm is nessacery. any advice or thoughts on symptoms would be apprichiated. x

Last edited:
Oh no, poor Dora - hope she's ok. What colour is the snot? The cytology should be helpful as it will give you an idea of what the discharge consists of. When Santa had this done it showed up huge amounts of inflammatory material and eosinophils which indicates infection. So even if the swab shows up nothing, the cytology can give an indication of whether there is infection present.

Santa has had 2 swabs taken and both times the lab has failed to grow anything even though it's obvious she is hugely infected. It's quite common for microbiological samples to come back negative because it's so difficult to get a decent sample of live tissue from somewhere like the nose. If the problem seems to be on one side only it could possibly be something like tooth roots; an x-ray in due course would be helpful. Because we don't have a positive culture & sensitivity for Santa it's been pretty much trial and error with antibiotics; there are plenty to try though so if one doesn't seem to be making a difference, you can discuss other options with your vet.

On the plus side though, I would say that Santa, who is nearly 7 and a chronic snuffler, had a dental under GA last week and recovered absolutely fine, so it's not necessarily always a huge problem to anaesthatise compromised rabbits. As well as all the usual precautions my vet gives her extra fluids to help keep things well hydrated.

thankyou everyone...it seems (though i dont want to speak too soon) that the snotty nose is less snotty and she is eating a little more than before too.

Back