• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire mesh??

:wave: Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question so please excuse if its not. Does anyone keep their rabbits on wire mesh? I'm pretty sure angora owners do. I've been told this is ok for rabbits but I'm not so sure. I have a bun that loves to sit on her favorate hut roof but as she poos she sits in them. They are not mushy or anything like that I just thought this might be a good idea to use a fine size mesh so the poos just fall underneath and she can sit freely with out anything attached to her botty. I'm worried about the flys in the summer so I'm looking at anything that might help. Any suggestions would be good. She would only be on the 'mesh' for about 2 hours a day as the rest of the day she has a 12 foot run and hutch to play in so plenty of room. The hut is just for her afternoon nap.

Generally no, it's not a good idea. It can make their paws sore. Most of us just use normal litter trays with some litter material and some hay. They do sometimes like to sit in that area, but it's quite normal and nothing to worry about. Just make sure the litter is changed at least once a day.

No, its sore on buns paws, so no wire mesh.

Try to litter train bun if you can, but generally its fine to have some random poops about the place!!

Thank you so much for your replies, I'll get her a litter tray today and fill with soft hay so it's comfy for her to sit in. I had a feeling the mesh wouldn't be a good idea.

Back