• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damson at vet with stones UD Post 17 He's back with PICCIES

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Damson (kidney stones and infection) started to look in pain again. We gave fluids an pain killer etc 'as normal' and he perked up but this morning he was bad again so I took him to vets.

She has just rung to say she has x-rayed and a part of the stone has broken off and is part way down uretha. She cannot operate because of where it is - so he is on fluids and bupronorphine and diazapam in the hope that he will be able to pass it.

But she asked if we wanted him PTS instead as it will be very painful and may not pass. We had another bun years ago (Bramble) who died in his same situation.

I have said not to PTS at present as I feel he might make it - he is a real fighter . . . BUT now I am in tears picturing him all alone at vets in pain and even maybe dying on his own without me there . . I feel awful . . don't know whether I should ring up and say PTS and then go in and hold him or whether to continue or what . . . He's 9 now and we have had him almost all his life and he is such a cheeky little thing and I love him and could not bear for him to die away from me. . I have nursed him through so much.

Just don't know what to do . . apart from sob. I am all alone today - meant to be writing . . partner at work 3 hrs drive away.

Last edited:
Poor Damson :cry:

I think if he hasn't passed it within the next few hours and surgery is out of the question I would have to let him go :cry:

But only your Vet can advise you really

I am sorry :cry:

what a horrible time to be alone:( if you do have to make the decision, will you be able to be with him or at least see him before?:(

I am so sorry to hear this, you must be so upset :cry:
Are you able to go and see him at the vets and give him some snuggles to show him he is not alone? Some times it helps.

Oh my goodness I am trying not to cry as I am at work. Parsnipbun you were so lovely to me when my little boy was poorly last week. I do not feel qualified to advise. So whatever you decide, remember he has had a wonderful wonderful life and you also help many other buns by passing on your advice through experience...maybe you should go to see him and in your heart you may know when you get there what is the best thing? Talk to the vet in person? Whatever you decide, it will be right because you know your bunny better than anyone. Its so so sad xx

Oh no! Poor Damson. I will be thinking of you both this afternoon.

Good luck. You will make the right decision, you always do.

I really want to go and see him but I only left him about 2 hours ago and they have such a very busy day (its a busy surgery day with lots of ops on) so I feel I can't bother them They never allow people out the back and so they would have to unhook him from his drip to bring him to me. I just don't know what to do. The vet said she would ring at 5pm but thats hours and hours away.

I'm so sorry to hear Damson is so poorly. :cry::cry: It's terribly hard to know what to do for the best. Are you allowed to go and be with him? Huge hugs x

I am so sorry! I know how difficult it is to make such a huge decision and how awful it must be to be alone right now. My advice would be not to PTS unless you are completely sure and have no doubt. You will know when it is the right time. BIG HUGS! :cry:

Rang the vets (in tears). Spoke to head nurse who I know. They say he is stable and that it really is very very busy there at present -
but they will ring if there is ANY sign of him getting worse (I am only 6 minutes from them if I break the speed limit just a teensy bit: 9 mins otherwise). Apparently the little b**g**er was eating some hay when I rang:shock::roll:

Surley eating hay is a good sign? That he is not in too much pain or he would not want to eat?
I agree with Jenzel5 that the decision to pts should only be made when there are no doubts in your mind, after all there is no turning back after it is done.
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time, lots of vibes to your baby :love:

Not only eating hay (good sign) but also pulled his drip out 3 times! although sometimes he is at his most difficult when he is in pain - thats when he will throw things round etc.

Never trust the 'he's eating hay' comment by the nurses actually as sometimes he just breaks that up and throws it round.

OH now home as drove for 3 hours - he went straight to vets . . they say still stable.

Am so sorry for you.
But eating hay is a good sign...it shows the vet (and you!) that he's not in great pain. (Sorry, just seen your note above). At least he's a little bit active though.

In your heart of hearts you'll know the right thing to do when you see him - especially if you trust your vet. You're just giving him a chance.

I hope it goes ok this evening. Big, huge vibes for Damson - I really hope his little body helps him pass the stone.

x

I am glad he is still lively.

Unfortunately we had to let Ella go at the age of 8 and a half years from the same problem at Christmas :(

Hows he doing? It was a shame the surgery was busy and you couldnt just see him earlier. Sounds reasonable news though? like he has lots of fight left yet! :) everything crossed for him this evening x

He's back!!! Well for the night anyway. he's a bit zonked as he is on Bupronorphine and diazapam to try and help ease him whilst the piece of stone travels down the urethra. This morning when they x-rayed him it was half way down the urethra - so just half way more to go. He's been on a drip all day so is FULL of fluids but even though he is still drinking from his bowl! He will burst soon I am sure..:shock:

Of course there is still the rest of the stone in the kidney and in retrospect we think this is the second fragment that has broken off and come down and I know that each time it happens it is SO painful and dangerous.

But for now its just lovely to have him home. He has been pigging non-stop - despite my having sent a 'packed lunch' with him:love::love::love:

We have brought his partner in too - but she's nervous in the house so we may take her outside gain in case it upsets him.

Here's some piccies of Damson himself (the pile of grass and dandelions is now half that size:shock::shock: - I also got some cranesbill and early willow leaves)
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg

He's back!!! Well for the night anyway. he's a bit zonked as he is on Bupronorphine and diazapam to try and help ease him whilst the piece of stone travels down the urethra. This morning when they x-rayed him it was half way down the urethra - so just half way more to go. He's been on a drip all day so is FULL of fluids but even though he is still drinking from his bowl! He will burst soon I am sure..:shock:

Of course there is still the rest of the stone in the kidney and in retrospect we think this is the second fragment that has broken off and come down and I know that each time it happens it is SO painful and dangerous.

But for now its just lovely to have him home. He has been pigging non-stop - despite my having sent a 'packed lunch' with him:love::love::love:

We have brought his partner in too - but she's nervous in the house so we may take her outside gain in case it upsets him.

Here's some piccies of Damson himself (the pile of grass and dandelions is now half that size:shock::shock: - I also got some cranesbill and early willow leaves)
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg

Well all things considered he looks good !!

I hope he has a comfortable night xx

its great to see him tucking into his tasty food:) i hope he's not in too much pain and the wretched thing will pass unnoticed for him xxx

Back