• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP please....just taken on a pair of bunnies

speckles

Young Bun
Hi all....Im wondering if someone can help us.....we have taken on a pair of rabbits both males and 6 mths old....the person who they came from wasnt bothering with them and probably would have drowned them given a chance:evil:.....well iv booked them both in to be neutered tomorrow:).... they obviously spraying each other and the one is meant to be white and hes browny yellow...its disgusting:oops:....is there anything I can wash him with to remove the stains of him:D...he is literally covered.....we want to give them both a happy life and have just purchased a chicken coop/massive hutch/run...cost a fortune but they had a awful start so want to give them the best....please anyone help...thanks,speckles

Welcome :wave: and well done for rescuing the boys.

I am afraid the wee stains are nigh on impossible to remove if they are so prolific. If the buns are sticky then washing will remove the stickiness but not the stains. I think you will have to wait until the fur is lost during moulting and for a fresh new coat to appear. Buns are usually moulting at this time of the year so hopefully you shouldn't have long to wait.

Have the bunnies been fighting at all, or have they been getting on well apart from the spraying? It can take a few weeks for the hormones to die down after castration so if there is any signs of agression the boys may have to be split up and re-bonded later.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Thank you Vanessa.....Im so embarrased taking them to the vets tomorrow but will explain to them how we came about to taking them on:oops:....they adore each other and love each other very much:love:....so no problems there....they are very docile and friendly rabbits...not shown any aggresion with me or themselves apart from mounting each othere ..lol....they just dont look adorable cause they are covered in stains...thanks for the quick reply xx

Thank you Vanessa.....Im so embarrased taking them to the vets tomorrow but will explain to them how we came about to taking them on:oops:....they adore each other and love each other very much:love:....so no problems there....they are very docile and friendly rabbits...not shown any aggresion with me or themselves apart from mounting each othere ..lol....they just dont look adorable cause they are covered in stains...thanks for the quick reply xx

Don't be embarrassed, you have done a wonderful thing and you should be massively proud of that.

Just think how happy you will be when they have cleaned up and are looking beautiful and happy with you!

Congrats on rescuing your lovely buns, it seems like they're going to be taken good care of with you :D
No advise about the wee stains Im afraid. You may just have to wait unmtil they've moulted, which should be around now anyway. Help it along with loads of brushing to help get rid of the nasty stained fur.
Welcome to the forum btw :wave:

Hey, don't be embarassed, as Biscuit's Mum has said you should be proud of yourself for taking these guys on and doing the best for them :D

Buns are such wonderful creatures and I am always touched by people who recognise this and want to give them their all.

Your boys sound lovely, shall look forward to some piccies, wee stained or not :D

awww thanks for all your kind messages:)......my boys are called speckles and george.....and speckles must have a twin because biscuits mum has what looks like a pic of my speckles lol at the bottom of her post...your Badger is my Speckles......you cannot belive the resemblence its quite freaky :lol:im going to clip a lil note on them tomorrow on their carrier when they go to the vets explaining the situation I would hate them to think Iv caused this neglect on these bunny rabbits:oops:....we recued one years and years ago and he was like george an albino with pink eyes but had been not cared for and was so dirty his name was Tommy...we cleaned him up and over time with his teeth trimmed and nails he rediscovered how to eat again without being in pain and to hop around on the grass to his hearts content:D and then he went and died :cry:but he was a very old boy and we had the pleasure of having him with us for 12 months:D . I want that for these bunnies to have a super life with us....:D Thanks all xx

just some brushing may take some of the loose hairs off making them not look so bad, vets will understand if you explain anyway

hi again,iv taken the bunnies today to be castrated and they are home....im not happy with george hes shaking so much that I was worried he was convulsing....rang the vet and she said he should be ok....said they have to go back tomorow if poorly still and not eaten....george has munched on a carrot but is shaking so much and looks ill and speckles is quite bright and alert but not eating.....can anyone advise me please whos been through this ...iv given them a bit of grass and carrot and dried food...Im so worried now iv made the wrong decision to have them done I would cry my eyes ut if anything happened to them....theyv got this far....:(:cry:

hi again,iv taken the bunnies today to be castrated and they are home....im not happy with george hes shaking so much that I was worried he was convulsing....rang the vet and she said he should be ok....said they have to go back tomorow if poorly still and not eaten....george has munched on a carrot but is shaking so much and looks ill and speckles is quite bright and alert but not eating.....can anyone advise me please whos been through this ...iv given them a bit of grass and carrot and dried food...Im so worried now iv made the wrong decision to have them done I would cry my eyes ut if anything happened to them....theyv got this far....:(:cry:

maybe you could try wrapping a hot water bottle in a towel, or a fleece blanket for him to sit on. dont fill it with boiling hot water though. I don`t know if it will work, just a suggestion.:) hope he will be ok.:):wave:

Hi, its a worrying time if you haven't done it before isn't it.

Have you got the buns inside, they can't regulate temperature for 24 hours after GA.

Did they get some painkillers before they left the vets?

Depending on what time they had their ops they may not be too perky yet, although boys usually bounce back pretty quick.

Offer water in a bowl as its easier to drink, they need to keep hydrated.

Keep offering little bits and bobs to tempt them to eat - fresh herbs, parsley, corriander or dandilion leaves are popular first foods, grated carrot, a little mashed banana, a tiny slice of apple. You can make their usual pellets mushy by soaking in water too - remove if not eaten.

hi there yep they are indoors and iv put a hotty botty under the box so the heat rises for them.... I'm forcing them to drink water but they do have it in a bowl as i guessed it would be easier for them both....sounds like im doing all I can then realy...why is he shivering so much...im so worried he will loose all his energy this way.....hes had a cuddle and i just want him to get well...they are brothers and adore each other,if anything happens to them I will have a massive regret:cry:....will keep popping down through the night to check them....thanks for your super quick advice its nice to know someone is there:)

No worries thats the beauty of RU theres always someone here :)

I know its common in humans to be shivery/shaky after an op so if the vet isn't too worried then perhaps you shouldn't be.

If he is warm and has plenty of titbits to choose from that he can reach as well as water I would turn out the lights and leave him quiet I usually find they start to eat and poop overnight. Of course keep checking regularly, feel his ears to check he's not cold and offer hand fed tasty bits. If he hasn't improved, eating, drinking and pooing by early tomorrow morning then I would get him straight down to the vets. Obviously if you have any further cause for concern sooner call the out of hours vet.

Hoping that George and Speckles, especially George, are feeling much better this morning.

Buns do like to worry us :(

Thanks al...its 8.15 pm now and im happy to report George and Speckles have eaten a bit of apple and cucumber and spinach and grass,and now pellets and Iv caught them both drinking water...will report again in a few days but dont want to speak to soon but all looks good......thanks guys xxxx:love:

Hi speckles, well done for taking in the boys,
you can give Bunns a 'bath' if they desperatley need it, not usually suggested though, the urine can cause irratation to the skin and scold it, i saw a bunny with urine scold a few weeks ago and he was in so much pain :(
If you do decided to give him a wash down just try and get him dry asap and keep him warm (ie:nice warm room) hotwater bottle with a towel around it for him to sit on whilst you get him dry, rather than get him completley soacked you could just get a wet cloth and give him a wipe over aswell,
im sure the vet will be able to tell you the best thing to do with him though :)
x

sorry didnt read all of your post and realise you'd already taken them to the vet,
hope George feels better soon x

Back