• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

homechecks

hannah C

Alpha Buck
hi!:wave:

the lady from the animal sanctuary is coming to homecheck me tomorrow and hopefully if she like everything she'll allow me to bring home the little lady i saw there the other day.

so today im going to give steves area of the garden a good clean, and sort out the shed, so that i have another rabbit friendly area for her to settle into befor i start the swapping and meeting bit.

so what i want to know is what sort of things will she want to look at, what things will she ask me ect im reallllly nervous, my OH keeps telling me not to worry because steve is healthy and happy and really friendly so im obviously not causing him harm in any way but still, i want to make sure everything is good when she is looking round.

so does anybody have any advise?

Hi Hannah
They just need to make sure the housing is big enough and the run etc.
Other questions may be is bunny up to date with vac,s,which vet you use,where does bunny go when you have a holiday.
It will be fine honestly:D

Hi:wave:

Don't be nervous - I'm sure she's not coming to grill you:lol:

I like to see the accommodation up and ready to go (I don't home check until it's all sorted and ready for the bun to live in), I check
the size of the accommodation against our minimum requirements
look at safety i.e. are they able to escape anywhere or dig out, or worse could a fox dig in etc.
Is the accommodation in good condition
Is the run securely attached and the top covered
Is the wire fox proof i.e not chicken wire.
Are there suitable bolts on the accommodation?
Is the garden secure from strangers and wandering animals
Is the accommodation weather proof from sun and rain and the cold
Is there access to grass for grazing
Discuss diet
Discuss vets and vaccinations etc
Discuss mental stimulation, toys, treats
Discuss bonding
Check companion animal

Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine:D

Hi:wave:

Don't be nervous - I'm sure she's not coming to grill you:lol:

I like to see the accommodation up and ready to go (I don't home check until it's all sorted and ready for the bun to live in), I check
the size of the accommodation against our minimum requirements
look at safety i.e. are they able to escape anywhere or dig out, or worse could a fox dig in etc.
Is the accommodation in good condition
Is the run securely attached and the top covered
Is the wire fox proof i.e not chicken wire.
Are there suitable bolts on the accommodation?
Is the garden secure from strangers and wandering animals
Is the accommodation weather proof from sun and rain and the cold
Is there access to grass for grazing
Discuss diet
Discuss vets and vaccinations etc
Discuss mental stimulation, toys, treats
Discuss bonding
Check companion animal

Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine:D

Ditto above.

They may possibly ask you what you do about holidays and when your go away too.

In any event, even if things aren't exactly as the rescue would like, they will offer advice to ensure that any potential new home will pass if they are willing to do as asked - i.e. adding bolts to accommodation if not currently used, putting weld mesh under grass if not currently secured, swapping any chicken wire for weld mesh, adding a lid to a run - you get the idea.

Ultimately you just need to show that you understand what a rabbit needs and that you are prepared to do your best to give them a great life.

Good luck.

Helen

I agree with the above plus the will want to check that you're not a complete numpty. Posting for advice seems to suggest you're not so I'm sure you will pass with flying colours.

You would be amazed how many people can't manage to provide the right stuff even when it's written down for them so it's to filter out those.

Good luck.

Back