• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scared and such a rubbish owner

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I have a clutch of rabbits (currently 17).

They all get the best care and treatment I can give them, but some get closer to you, some worm their way into your heart for whatever reason.

Last year, I lost Summer, who was one of those.

Currently Sky is my most important one. Badger is another, Cloud is another and I think Autumn probably is too.

Badger is struggling with a respiratory issue, maybe pneumonia, maybe heart relatd, not sure yet, but he is an ill boy.

Cloud is 'on the way out' because he has liver problems and lung probvlems and because he is a stress head we can't do anything invasive on him, so are basically keeping him comfortable and doing whatever I can at home.

A couple of weeks ago Sky coughed a couple of times so I took him to the vetand given the vet could only find spurs as an issue, he had his spurs done. He was cough free for a week until today and now he is doing it again. I'm so scared. So utterly terrified that I'm going to lose the best friends I have in this world and all around the same time.

I feel like the worst owner in the world. I need them so, so much and yet I can't even keep them healthy. What sort of owner does that make me?! An utterly useless and rubbish one.

You obviously care for your buns a great deal and endeavour to cope with all their issues when they arise getting them the treatment they need and tending to them in the way most appropriate for them.

Sending a big hug to keep you strong at this difficult time.

I have a clutch of rabbits (currently 17).

They all get the best care and treatment I can give them, but some get closer to you, some worm their way into your heart for whatever reason.

Last year, I lost Summer, who was one of those.

Currently Sky is my most important one. Badger is another, Cloud is another and I think Autumn probably is too.

Badger is struggling with a respiratory issue, maybe pneumonia, maybe heart relatd, not sure yet, but he is an ill boy.

Cloud is 'on the way out' because he has liver problems and lung probvlems and because he is a stress head we can't do anything invasive on him, so are basically keeping him comfortable and doing whatever I can at home.

A couple of weeks ago Sky coughed a couple of times so I took him to the vetand given the vet could only find spurs as an issue, he had his spurs done. He was cough free for a week until today and now he is doing it again. I'm so scared. So utterly terrified that I'm going to lose the best friends I have in this world and all around the same time.

I feel like the worst owner in the world. I need them so, so much and yet I can't even keep them healthy. What sort of owner does that make me?! An utterly useless and rubbish one.

I will tell you what you are...you are a caring loving owner of 17 beautiful rabbits who no doubt love you just as much as you love them, you are not to blame for their problems sadly we all go through it and sometimes blame ourselves. Please don't give yourself a hard time as you are certainly not an utterly useless and rubbish owner from what I can see.

Thank you.

I have done my best for them. They are all under vet care and receiving the best my vets can give, and more (because I've been researching and taking them things to try, such as Zithromax). I just love them so, so much and I feel so helpless.

Sky fixed me when I was at my most broken. He's healed me twice. Who will heal me if he goes. No one will. I'll just be broken into a gazillion pieces. I need him. More than anything else in this world. I hate when things are new. I'm going to get him seen tomorrow.

It would break my heart to lose Badger, but right now I know I'm doing all and everything I can to make him ok or better or comfortable. I am fighting with him tooth and nail as hard as we can, and will do for as long as he wants.

I would do that and will do that, with any of them. fight for as long or as hard as they want.

Can't do much with Cloud though other than leave him because he is a stresshead and all his problems and symptoms get so much worse with intervention (as agreed by the vet).

It's just breaking my heeart and I hate that we have a four day weekend coming up too.

I know how you feel. Out of all my pets, Charlie is the one I'm closest too. And Mable was so close to me too, and losing her broke my heart so much. It's been almost a year and I still can't help crying when I think about her.

You should be proud as an owner, not thinking you're rubbish. Not all owners would battle on with vet care to keep the bunny comfortable, and even less would go out and research everything that they could do to help their bunnies.
I think no matter what happens, your rabbits must clearly be happy and comfortable.
You're clearly a brilliant bunny mummy and I hope that your rabbits are happy, healthy and behaving badly enough to drive you mental for a good long while yet :love:

I am so sorry some of your bunnies are ill. I cant imagine how stressful it is to have 4 at once be poorly. You sound like you are doing an amazing job of getting them the care and treatment they need to help them the best way that you can.

You say that Sky healed you twice - now it may seem that you need to do it for him, to be strong for him - which is exactly what it sounds like you are doing.

You obviously have such a special bond with your bunnies and they are lucky to have you for that at this scary time for them and you.

They do sound like special bunnies!

Try to take care of yourself in this difficult time. Thinking of you and hoping that the next few days go ok for you all. x

Last edited:
Thank you Steph. I'm so sorry you lost Mable.

helgalush, Sky reckons I'm his bondfriend, and theres no way I would back out on him now. I will go the journey with him for as long as he wants me to, and when he doesn't want me to, then I'll be there when that happens too, even if my heart is breaking. I would do anything in the world for him (and any of the others).

As the saying goes 'give me a place to stand and I will move the Earth'. I really would. I just wish I could have moved it to prevent all this happening. Things that crop up like dentals and such are easier to deal with than long term, chronic conditions where you're somewhat shooting in the dark and not knowing what's going to happen. I took on a girl with spinal damage (I've taken on a few from the RSPCA who are too ill to be rehomed or that the centre would PTS or don't know what to do with) and felt all this about her even though I didn't really know her. I hate the turmoil illness causes.

I don't ever, EVER want to fail another bunny again. I did that too much when I was ignorant. I am terrified I'm going to fail or am failing these. Sometimes your best isn't good enough. If they die, my best won't have been goodenough.

Thank you Steph. I'm so sorry you lost Mable.

helgalush, Sky reckons I'm his bondfriend, and theres no way I would back out on him now. I will go the journey with him for as long as he wants me to, and when he doesn't want me to, then I'll be there when that happens too, even if my heart is breaking. I would do anything in the world for him (and any of the others).

As the saying goes 'give me a place to stand and I will move the Earth'. I really would. I just wish I could have moved it to prevent all this happening. Things that crop up like dentals and such are easier to deal with than long term, chronic conditions where you're somewhat shooting in the dark and not knowing what's going to happen. I took on a girl with spinal damage (I've taken on a few from the RSPCA who are too ill to be rehomed or that the centre would PTS or don't know what to do with) and felt all this about her even though I didn't really know her. I hate the turmoil illness causes.

I don't ever, EVER want to fail another bunny again. I did that too much when I was ignorant. I am terrified I'm going to fail or am failing these. Sometimes your best isn't good enough. If they die, my best won't have been goodenough.

I lost 3 rabbits last year 2 of them had cancer and I sort of had to watch the weight drop off them and go to bed every night wondering if they would still be with us in the morning. Danny was born in our house in 2005 to our rescue girl Grace and he was the runt of the litter, he was always ill and never put much weight on but he was such a sweet natured soul and my Husband and I loved him so much and when we found out he had cancer and we were going to lose him we felt physically sick and angry because we knew this time we couldn't make him better and we both felt as if we were letting him down, and in February we lost our beloved Dutch girl Poppet to cancer and we went down the same road again, to look at something that you so love so much every day and know whatever you do isn't going to save them is just to much to bare.
I guess what I'm trying to say is we can try, but we can't peform miracles.

awww hun, least you have most healthy so you must be doing something right :thumb:.

of the 2 rabbits i have (and have ever had) both are trying to die.. pearl obviosuly is doing it more successfully than alvin right now :(

Unfortunately we cant keep them healthy, we can only help as best we can, and thats definately what you do.
From what i see on here, i think you are a great bunny parent :)

Hun we all feel like this when we lose one. There's buns on here aged ten plus & I can't get one beyond six:cry:

Well if you're a rubbish owner with 3 ill out of 17...I must be the worst owner in the world because I have 6 with chronic or recurring illness out of 24.

I think in the days before rabbit savvy vets, buns must have got ill and died very quickly...so in a way we're lucky that we can keep buns with chronic problems alive (and with a good quality of life) for so long.

Back