• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long term use of Ultrapen.

mia'n'patch

Alpha Buck
Been to the vet this morning for a post abcess op check up on Patch. During the op, the vet removed one of her incisors as it was loose and possibly the reason for her abcesses. He looked in her mouth, which he says is now looking very good. No sign of infection, very clean.
She's on a 3 month course of Ultrapen after which, he's asked me how I want to play things.
I have the option of stopping the antibiotics and seeing how she goes, OR I can continue with the injections twice a week for the rest of her life in the hope that we can keep her abcess free.

I'm not really sure how to play this one. I really don't want to stop the antibiotics if it means that she's gonna be back in the operating theatre within a year, but ..... I can't bear the thought of Patch having to put up with unessessary injections if the removed tooth has been the root, (sorry, no pun intended) of all her troubles.

Is keeping her on the jabs going to do her any harm in the long run?

She's not had any skull x-rays.

She has had pretty major work done in her jaw in the 2 previous ops. Both times the infection had gone quite deep into bone, so much so, after the second op she was left with a hole going through into her mouth.

I did ask the vet who did the first 2 ops about skull x-rays, and she agreed to do them if Patch went in for a 3rd time. However, it was a different vet who saw her this time, and he saw that the infection was oozing into her mouth, which it never had before, and booked her in for dental work.

I've got to go back towards the end of her course of treatment, and i'll talk to him about it.

She has had pretty major work done in her jaw in the 2 previous ops. Both times the infection had gone quite deep into bone, so much so, after the second op she was left with a hole going through into her mouth.

I did ask the vet who did the first 2 ops about skull x-rays, and she agreed to do them if Patch went in for a 3rd time. However, it was a different vet who saw her this time, and he saw that the infection was oozing into her mouth, which it never had before, and booked her in for dental work.

In that case I'd be inclined to go for longterm abx therapy.

As long as it's not going to cause her any ill effect, i'm quite happy to keep her on long term abx. Just don't want to cause her any more grief by doing so. Poor bunny has been through quite enough as it is.

Is there anything i should look out for if I do? Will it play havoc with her tummy or anything?

Obviously any medication caries risks of side effects. Gut dysbiosis being one of them, especially with a Penicillin (eg Ultrapen). HOWEVER, not continuing abx if Patch has osteomyelitis (bone infection) means that the infection is likely to spread and cause significant problems. So the Vet (and you) need to weigh up risks versus benefits.

I have had numerous Rabbits who have been on Depocillin for months, some over a year, with no ill effect. They were all given probiotics daily and their diet carefully monitored (very high fibre,low carbohydrate/sugar).

If I had a Rabbit with Patch's problems and significant osteomyelitis was confirmed I would want my Vet to prescribe longterm abx and to keep a regular check on my Bun's condition.

Thank you!

I feel a lot happier about keeping her on abx knowing that it can be done without too much aggravation to other areas of her health.
Especially if it does help keep this bloomin infection at bay.

The vets I use are brilliant with the buns, and i'm sure between me and him, (and the wonderful members of RU), we can keep this bun as happy as she deserves to be.

Thank you!

I feel a lot happier about keeping her on abx knowing that it can be done without too much aggravation to other areas of her health.
Especially if it does help keep this bloomin infection at bay.

The vets I use are brilliant with the buns, and i'm sure between me and him, (and the wonderful members of RU), we can keep this bun as happy as she deserves to be.

Good luck and please keep us updated on things :)

My Inca is on antibiotics, she is on daily ceporex injections (related to penicillin), she has been for the last two months.
I will hopefully be stopping them soon, but just wanted to say that she did have runny poo's from time to time, but generally as long as i kept giving her probiotics and loads of hay, she coped with the abx fine.
Basically i think its better to have bun feeling good and comfortable just now, and deal with any effects of the abx later. (which should hopefully be no ill effects :))
Good Luck x

My Inca is on antibiotics, she is on daily ceporex injections (related to penicillin), she has been for the last two months.
I will hopefully be stopping them soon, but just wanted to say that she did have runny poo's from time to time, but generally as long as i kept giving her probiotics and loads of hay, she coped with the abx fine.
Basically i think its better to have bun feeling good and comfortable just now, and deal with any effects of the abx later. (which should hopefully be no ill effects :))
Good Luck x

Thank you!
Touch wood, Patch is proving to be quite a tough little bunny, and she's not had any tummy troubles whilst previously on Depocillin, but she was only on it for a 3 month course after each op. I was mainly concerned about very long term use, especially if it's going to be a life time thing.

These probiotics. Are they bunny specific ones?, or will I now be sharing my morning bottle of Activia with Patch? :?

Back