• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEASE I NEED HELP!!! My rabbit might be very ill???

:roll:
i got a dawf rabbit he is white and 6 monts old his name is neo...

I took my rabbit to the vet two days ago for his normal check up and the vet said that he is perfect and that there is nothing wrong.

After i brought my Rabbit home he never ate properly at all...he only nibbles on peices of his carrots and thats it!! his pellets just lay there but he is also drinking some water, is he sick???

he also jumps around like mad which means he is happy cause he still comes to cuddle with me and he licks my hand alot. and he seems happy but why isnt he eating!!!

please help me

When the vet checked him, can you tell us all the things he did (or that you saw him do)?

Why no Hay???

Hay is the Staple of Rabbit diets. It helps there internals work and also controls (Timothy Hay and thicker stuff) their tooth growth

Can you tell us exactly what you feed him? Can I also ask, what country are you in?

Rabbits generally need a diet of 80-90% hay (or grass, if he is used to that, but don't give him lots of grass if he is not used to it), could you go and buy some?

Was he behaving and eating differentl before he went to the vets or just since he came back?

have you maybe changed his diet? and they need high fibre pelleets vegatables and 80-90% of deit to be hay or grass if used to it. x

he checked his eyes and his unders, he also checked inside his mouth and felt his body. and ears

Did he give him anything? How did you transport him to the vets and back? Did anything traumatic happen to him while he was there? What did the vet do to check in his mouth?

It might be that he need some hay, were you told when you bought him that his diet should be 80% hay, 10% veg, and 10% pellets. Hay is fibrous and as rabbits are natural grazing animals he need to be able to graze all day everyday. I would get him some nice fresh hay and see if he starts eating that, take all other food away for 24 hours and get loads of hay in him to get his guts moving :wave:

He needs to have more hay than pellets; an unlimited supply. This could be why he's not pooing as much. As for pellets.. I'm not sure. I never saw Selina eat them much when I first got her, (they would be gone by the morning though) but now adays as soon as she sees me with her bowl and food, she jumps up and down waiting for her food like a dog- *chuckle*

Pellets and carrots and other sugary foods are like sweets and macdonald's to a bunny, so its not healthy by itself however much they like it.

Ideally something like an eggcup full of pellets for a healthy average bunny is enough pellets alongside unlimited hay.

well if he hasn't had hay, he may have dental issues, so vets again

And hay.

I agree. I think you need to find a rabbit savvy vet and take him back. I wonder if the vet checked his mouth and hurt him somehow (that is PURE speculation) and that has caused the behaviour change.

Think of the pellets and carrots like the equivalent to feeding a child sweets and chocolates - if they could they would eat that all day, wouldn't they?

A rabbit needs hay at the main part of their diet, whereas the pellets and carrots are really treats and extras.

i dont feed him hay cause he loves the pellets and more carrots.

I van try and feed him that.

and no he was'nt like this before the vet

I would make sure that htere is a continous amount of Hay and obviously water and limit the rest a, as others have said.

I don't really like veg and would love to live on Meat and Potatoes but to be healthy I need the others too. Rabbits are the same

ok im from south africa

and i took him by car to the vets and he seemed fine but y all of a sudden??

i mean he cant be sick i just took him to the vet!!!

and he nibbles on the carrots

Back