• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

runny nose vets at 15.15 but extra q's

bunlover

Warren Veteran
hi there, i dont often post as generally im up on my rabbit medicine but iv never had a bunny with snuffles (im hoping this is not what it is but will see once get to vets) dora has been not eating her breakfast (they are normally fed mix in morning adn pellets and veg in evening) she has been eating the hay without problem and has taken hard and soft treats as well as grazing and loving as normal her veg, she seems thinner though (will confirm this with weight check at vets in a bit)
also noticed the other day under her nose was little wet knowing how she digs in the hay i thought prehaps some hay had got up it and cleaned it up but kept an eye on her, yesterday though i noticed she had a snotty nose im not sure she has never had one before as arthur is always licking her so it is possible he had previosuly cleaned it up , dora is my "rabbit bunny" the one who doesnt particularly like human contact, she hates being indoors and loves grzing.

are there other possibly causes apart from snuffles of a runny nose (nb arthur is a dental bunny but dora has always had perfect teeth and her eyes are bright and she is bouncy just a little off by not eating breakfast and nose issue) she is now around 5years.

my other question is depending on what it is if its snuffles is it baytril to treat and is it reoccouring for rest of life also will it mean arthur will catch it and are my other pair at risk also? x

my other question is depending on what it is if its snuffles is it baytril to treat and is it reoccouring for rest of life also will it mean arthur will catch it and are my other pair at risk also? x

You can try baytril in the first instance, although it does tend to supress symptoms rather than cure the actual infection in lots of cases. There are lots of antibiotics that can be used for URIs, so your vet may prescribe something else instead.

Snuffles is catching depending on the cause (i.e. would have to be bacterial). There is no point separating her from arthur because he's been exposed to it by now anyway, but you may want to keep her away from your other pair until she is no longer snotty/sneezing.

thankyou the vet has taken some swaps and sent them off to be anlyised the most worrying thing is her dramatic weight loss she is .4kg less than last time we went she wont eat her dried and we cant tell why....

Back