• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help- udate- Hopefully signed off from vet!

rachylou

Warren Veteran
When I woke up and went to see Jims this morning, he was asleep in his potty (Which he NEVER does) he had wee'ed outside his hay box and in his hay box (Which he never does) and he looked very sad, I let him out and he ran in to a corner and hudled up, I tried giving him his breakfast and he did not want it, that was it, I was straight on the phone to the vets, took him in and he has had a pain relief, metacloprimide, fluids and syringe feed.
He is back home now and has had a big drink, has eaten some parsley, basil and mint, I have given him Fibreplex but I am feeling so helpless, I dont know what else I can do?
The vet said that he does still have some spurs on his back teeth (He only had them filled a few weeks ago!) but did not do them today as he is already very stressed.
He said that Jimby is going to be prone to statis for the rest of his life and it is going to get more serious each time.
I am in a right state, just dont know what else I can do? I love him so much!

Last edited:
If he has already had a good drink and has nibbled at food that is an excellent sign. Just encourage him to continue to do so and also encourage him to hop about. Exercise will help his gut motility.

Did he have his last Dental under sedation/GA ?

Try not to worry.

Dental buns are more prone to stasis because they are fussy eaters, and some buns go on hunger strike at the slightest tooth spur.

I don't think the stasis will necessarily get more severe, but you can only wait and see. Try to encourage him to eat as much hay as possible...it will help his teeth and his digestion. He might not feel like eating hay ATM though.

No they always do consious dentals as he is so prone to statis.
I just dont know what could have caused this, this time, apart from the fact he had x2 small pieces of carrot last week when he normally has one and that I have done some slight furniture manuvals they are they only things that have been different!
I have just got him to eat some more leaves, I am just so scared, what the vet was saying really scared me it was as if he was saying that there is no hope if he keeps going in to statis, I can not loose him Jane, I love him too much! :cry:

No they always do consious dentals as he is so prone to statis.
I just dont know what could have caused this, this time, apart from the fact he had x2 small pieces of carrot last week when he normally has one and that I have done some slight furniture manuvals they are they only things that have been different!
I have just got him to eat some more leaves, I am just so scared, what the vet was saying really scared me it was as if he was saying that there is no hope if he keeps going in to statis, I can not loose him Jane, I love him too much! :cry:

Well without wishing to ignite yet another 'concious Dental' debate I would say that it is highly unlikely that he will be free of stasis episodes without a thorough Dental under GA.

I really cant go into all the why's and wherefores again but if you do a search on 'conscious Dentals' you will see what I think.

Has Jims passed any poos yet ?

Does he feel cold to the touch ?

No he has not pooed yet, I have felt his underside and he is a bit matted from pee.
He is moving around a bit more now, I keep trying to get him moving. He does seem more alert but still not himself, he has been nibbling on TINY amounts of hay.

He does feel fairly cold, I have just been snuggling up with him to try and warm him up, its mainly his ears that feel cold.

The fact that he is still nibbling food is great.

Can you find a few dandelion leaves to offer him ?

If you put him in a room he is less used to he will be more likely to hop about as he will be curious.

After a hop about then letting him rest near a heatpad of some sort will help him maintain his body temperature.

Try not to be stressed around him (easier said than done I know) as he will pick up on your anxiety.

We live in a block of flats so would not trust and dandelion leaves I could find around here.
He has just gone in to his potty.......

He seems a lot more lively than earlier, he is more interested in destruction which is a good sign! He has tried to chew the furniture and his blanket (I stopped him of cause)

... No poos :cry:

Our microwave packed up last night so can not give him his heat pad, we are going to get one when my husband finishes work later so he will have his heat pad tonight, I will be up with him too if he is still unwell.

You might find that the poos arrive in the early evening. I used to find that when my bunnies went into stasis, if I couldn't get them pooing in the morning, the poos wouldn't start again till the early evening, as they had a natural non-pooing time in the middle of the day anyway.

You might find that the poos arrive in the early evening. I used to find that when my bunnies went into stasis, if I couldn't get them pooing in the morning, the poos wouldn't start again till the early evening, as they had a natural non-pooing time in the middle of the day anyway.

Thats a good point! I just want to see some poos! :cry:

:shock: He just ate something very thorny!
I give him a mixture of dried herbs and I found a really thorny bit which I took out and put to the side... he just ate it! It had actual thorns on it, will he be ok?

Have you tried peppermint tea at all? Might be worth a go (obviously cooled). It used to help my buns a lot.

I agree over the dental though - sounds like the teeth need sorting asap. :(

:shock: He just ate something very thorny!
I give him a mixture of dried herbs and I found a really thorny bit which I took out and put to the side... he just ate it! It had actual thorns on it, will he be ok?

It's fine !! Wild Buns eat brambles, thorns and all :)

He is hoovering at the moment, has eaten a couple of treats and has done a ceacle but not eaten it, I gave it to him to try and get him to eat it but he did not want it, so I have pooped it back in his potty. I also made the mistake of sniffing it, cause I thought it does not smell like normal, I do have a cold and when I sniffed it, I nearly threw up!! :mrgreen: Forgot how disgusting they smell!! :shock: :lol:

Ok just called the vets to give them an update and I am pee'ed off with how small they make you feel some times! :evil: I mentioned at the vets this morning that we are not able to syringe feed him so if it is nessersary he will need to be at the vets for that, on the phone she said 'Have you been syringe feeding?' duh! I politely told her that as mentioned this morning we are unable to without causing him lots of stress, she then made me feel about as big as a small twig and said that he was fine with her earlier and was taking it really well... that is not the case when he is at home, he will fight us so badly that he gets so stressed out it is not worth it.

Ok I am not sure if I ahve just stressed him out too much or he is getting worse, he HAS passed some poos BUT now he is off his food again, dont know what to do, how long does the metacloprimide last?

Back