• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house rabbits and stairs ?

pennypoos

Mama Doe
my house rabbit has decided that she preferes to be upstairs :roll:, I cought her yesturday hopping up the stairs and the she had a mad run round and flopping out on the floor, and last night when i came home from work, i couldn`t find penny at all . so i went upstairs and found her sprawled out on my bedroom carpet like lady muck :lol:. I don`t mind if she goes upstairs, but im just worried that she might fall and hurt herself. what would you do ? would you let your bun go up and down the stairs ? or would you not recomend it ?

Ours practically live upstairs and enjoy running up and down them at some speed.

The only time I've been worried about them falling is when Rum decided to hump Raisins head on the top stair and he chucked her off!

I have no problem with them being up there :)

I think it depends on what bannisters or whatever you have on the stairs itself (and also if upstairs is safe).

In my old house the stairs were all enclosed and so I just let them poddle around as and where they choose, but where I live now the rabbits could fall out the side of the staircase (and some of them are stupid enough to do that) so its not something I let them do unless I am supervising closely.

All of mine can go up the stairs but I have two stupids who can't get down again (one of whom used to know but has now forgotten- duh). Can your girlie get down again?

Jack can't get down the stairs...... he stands at the top and stares at me but *won't* attempt to go down them! I've even taken him to the bottom and got him to run up - he did go down two or three stairs near the bottom but once at the top he wouldn't come down and hasn't attempted it since..... :p

It's definitely easier for them to get up rather than down stairs! Mine used to like playing on the stairs, although Clover got a bit keen on the carpet (pulling threads out). :roll:

Well John was quite happy that Jack couldn't go down the stairs - I keep teasing him that when Hollie comes home with Jack (if the bond goes well!) she'll probably go down the stairs in seconds and Jack will follow..... causing havoc downstairs as well as up lol. ;)

Ted's too big to hip down my steep stairs! :oops: :lol::lol: He gets stuck and doesn't understand...as he's an excellent stair climber/descender! :lol:

Mine have all been fine with stairs, bar Prue who will hop up two or three but she's not overly big on exercise! :roll::lol:

I think it depends on what bannisters or whatever you have on the stairs itself (and also if upstairs is safe).

In my old house the stairs were all enclosed and so I just let them poddle around as and where they choose, but where I live now the rabbits could fall out the side of the staircase (and some of them are stupid enough to do that) so its not something I let them do unless I am supervising closely.

All of mine can go up the stairs but I have two stupids who can't get down again (one of whom used to know but has now forgotten- duh). Can your girlie get down again?

my stairs are all closed in, so they are completely safe. Yesturday when she got to the top of the stairs, she did make her way back down again but i nearly had a cardiac arrest :lol: I think maybe she just needs a little bit of practice.
Im going to leave the door open then, so that she can hop up and down as she chooses. But if she starts pulling up the carpets she will have to be banned, my Oh will go chicken oriental if she starts to do stuff life that. She is a realy good bun, and hasn`t chewed or wrecked anything so far ( toutch wood ) ;)

Biscuit lives in our upstairs spare bedroom, so in the evenings and mornings she comes running down the stairs to flop in front of the telly in the front room.

My Jose's fab on the stairs, she bombs up and down them with no problems at all. Rainbow on the other hand is useless, he trips up them on his way up and practically slides down them on his belly :roll:

Paddy and Peaches wont attempt them, I've tried to them to but they refuse. Peaches sits at the top and looks down over the top step as if to say "You expect me to go down there? Pah!" :lol:

Daisy runs up and down the stairs all the time and loves it, but Jester is a scaredy cat and won't use them. He stands at the top and looks over the edge and runs away again :lol:

All of my house bunnies have loved using the stairs. There is a small risk of them hurting themselves but I think it is worth it for the enjoyment they get out of it.

Mini goes down the stairs with ease but downstairs isn't rabbit-proofed so we have a stairgate. Mischa can't handle the stairs, he tumbled down them once, another reason for the stairgate. The lions arn't very bothered by them although when they come back upstairs after their brush I let them run up. They like that.

Back