• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When 2 buns become 1

Hi,
Just wanted advice as to how to help Snowflake deal with losing Isaac last night - I found him this morning. I've wrapped him up and left him in the hutch with her. How long should I leave him with her for. I can't afford the cost of another bunny right now, as I have been at the vets every week this year and it's taken it's toll financially and emotionally.
I know she will be fine and she was on her own with me for a year before he came along, any tips though to make the transition go more smoothly. Do I heap more attention on here, she's always been a right attention seeker lol.
Any advice always appreciated and thanks to anyone who helped with advice while Isaac was sick, I was doing everything and still he died I don't understand it. :(

I'm sorry for you loss. I've yet to experience a berieved bunny but I would imagine just keep an eye that she is eating and drinking ok and offer her extra tlc if needed. I think you've done the right thing buy letting her say her goodbyes to him.

i wish i had advice for you, im about to hit the same situation but my problem is Alvin is not a human loving bunny, after pearl goes i dont want another rabbit, emotionally and financially i am totally drained but i have a feeling Alvin will not accept being a lone bun and i will run the risk of losing him if i keep him alone :cry::cry:. i guess lots of fuss and attention will help both you and snowflake get through this loss.. im really sorry he gave up and didnt let you help him to get better, but i really dont think there was any more you could of done for him :cry::cry::cry:

Piglet recently lost Eeyore, I just kept an eye on her, gave her extra attention and some more toys to play with. She was a bit quiet but ok, although I did get her bonded quite quickly as I was worried she'd get lonely. I'm so sorry you lost Isaac :(

I'm so sorry you lost Isaac.

She has probably spent enough time with Isaac to understand what happened to him and where he has gone so its probably ok to take him out now.

If bringing her in is an option (for good, that is) then I would suggest doing that, otherwise I would say look to stimulate her environment as much as possible and give her attention (but only give attention that you can continue to give, otherwise when you start to retract that she will be unsettled again). I found changing the environment worked well for mine, in whatever way I could.

Thankyou guys! Im so sorry you're losing your girl donnamt and sorry Fran for your loss. My mums been watching them all day praying 4 Isaac to start breathing :( I havent the heart to put him anywhere yet, I haven't even arranged his funeral yet :s thankfully thursdays the start of easter holidays and I can spend time with snowflake sorting her out. Thanks 4 your help.

so sorry for your loss:cry: having lost 5 buns last year we know how it feels:cry: I wouldnt leave the dead bun in there.from our experience it makes the one left more upset as they are getting no response from their friend,they just dont understand like you want them to

My Barley was recently bereaved - I lost my old Marge on friday just gone. Barley is eating and drinking but has become aggressive towards me. :( Nothing has changed with his routine other than Marge not being there anymore so I guess the only way I'll fix it is to find him a new wifeybun.

My hearts ruled my head and the fact that no one in the house is coping I've asked karen at rabbit ritz to find a new husbund 4 her. Thanks 4 all the advice as always xx

Back