• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panamec dangerous??

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hello, have just dropped Bailey off at the vets for a dental under GA, Bailey has mites/fleas also at the moment which had casued these two scabs to appear on her back, the vet yesterday suggested an injection called Panamec to get rid of the fleas and mites, but she wasnt what i what call rabbit savvy...
anyway this morning i was asked to sign an authorisation for the panamec to be adminitserd while Bailey was under, but i needed to sign as it is not registerd as a safe injection for bunns, but the nurse said lots of stuff isnt registerd as safe but is still fine :? she said they had never had a problem with it before, but i still said i would rather speak to the vet (also you guys) before they administerd it.
Just wondering if anyone else has had a good or bad experiance with this drug as i need to tell them later wether to administer it.
Thanks x

Ok thanks, just the nurse said it wasnt registerd as safe for rabbits :?
she's been ok with xeno450 before but i know spot on can have a bad effect sometimes on bunns, i dont know if i could use xeno anyway as the scab is on the back of her neck where i would need to put the xeno,
Just waiting for a call now hoping the dentals went ok, baileys first time under GA...
x

It's only licensed for sheep and cattle, I think. It's just a licensing thing rather than a safety one. :)

Selamectin (Revolution) is another treatment for treating fleas and mites in rabbits. I have a recently adopted rescue bun with mites and traces of flea droppings who was treated with selamectin last week. Previous mite infestations have been treated with Ivermectin but our vet now recommends selamectin.

Xeno450 is ivermectin based. I think there was a thread here a short while ago where the poster was challenging the safety of this product.

Link to a paper studying the efficacy and safety of selamectin.

http://jarvm.com/articles/Vol5Iss3/Beck 87-96.pdf

is selamectin registerd as a safe med for bunns? i just got a bit freaked out when she said panamec wasnt... i read the thread challenging the safety of xeno, baileys not had a problem and shes had about 7doses since ive had her, i know that spot on is very adverse it can cause problems... if panamec is Ivermectin based then i can understand why it might not be registerd as safe, bailey really needs somthing to get rid of the mites, am just gonna have to try and get to see the rabbit savvy vet later when i *hopefully* pick her up...

Xenex isnt safe...but Xeno450 is.You need to give 2 squirts every 2 weeks.It doesnt do fleas, but does mites.
I used something from Advantage for fleakies last year.:wave:

My Herbie had Panomec injections. I had to sign a form as its not licenced in buns.
He was fine and it got rid of the mites.

Inca had a small reaction to the injection, she got a wee lump where the jag went in.

thanks, the rabbit savvy vet at the surgery just phoned me to say baileys just woken up, apparently only prob with the surgery was that Bailey refused to go to sleep after the anesthetic was given to her lol, have told the vet to go ahead with the panamec, she said shes done thousands of rabbits with it and had no side effects
thanks for the help everyone x

Back