• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies react well to strangers?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
When folks go away for a couple of days, what do they do with their bunnies? Mine are outside buns and I have a friend coming round to feed and exercise them twice a day. Do bunnies mind who feeds them? Might I expect them to be strange with my friend? Do bunnies really know their owner,or just the pair of hands that feed and stroke them? :?

She's coming to learn what to do before I go away and I've left instructions, I just hope they will eat etc.

Mine know me and probably wouldn't cuddle up to someone they don't know, but as far as feeding goes mine wouldn't care so long as they had their food! If its just for a few days I wouldn't worry

My two couldnt give a monkeys who i was to be honest. :roll::) They have been looked after by me, my cousins, my gran and my uncle and have had no problem whatsoever. They even cope with change of scenery and housing with the usual investigation and making it their own...:roll:

However some bunnies are a bit more nervous so may hide etc... They will eat dont worry about that.
The only thing i would do with someone is, unless they have had rabbits before and know how to handle them, i would ask for that person not to pick them up...
If your buns are a bit nervy then having a strange person picking them up, that would be surprised at an escape attempt (which mine will do), could result in being dropped or the bun being wrongly handled...
Its nervewracking leaving your buns and ive done it a few times and it doesnt get much better!
As long as your friend knows the routine you will be fine ;)

It depends entirely on your buns. Mine are petrified of anyone but me. They act really jumpy if I put on a new coat. However I think a lot of buns don't care, if they were originally sold in a petshop they are unlikely to care (much) about strange humans.

I have my three and to be honest my two little ones will run away up into their cage, but will come back down once the food has been put out, but my youngest (giant) loves attention and doesn't care who he gets its from.:roll:

Most bunnies react well to strangers, all the boarders we have dont mind me as long as they get their food! On one end of the scale, we have boarders who clamber all over us, ask for noserubs etc,and then on the other end, buns who dont like to be stroked etc but theyre not afraid of us or anything like that, so dont worry.

My own buns, 2 of them literally dont care, Domino loves me, he grooms me etc, but he likes other people too.

mine came with me :oops: and since pearl got ill i havent gone away.
Pearl is nervous of strangers but will approach if she thinks there is food. Alvin usually thumps and hides in the carrier :lol::lol:

Mine wont come to strangers for noserubs but once food is involved its a different story :roll:

Mine are the same. I was quite shocked when Otis wouldn't go to someone the other day for nose rubs cos normally he'll do anything for strokes!

Smudge is very nervous of new people, Nutmeg tolerates them and the lops just love anyone willing to give headrubs, let alone food!

:)
Mine know me and probably wouldn't cuddle up to someone they don't know, but as far as feeding goes mine wouldn't care so long as they had their food! If its just for a few days I wouldn't worry

So are you generally best to get a knowledgeable friend/neighbour to look after them in their normal environment or take them with you (assuming you can and the set up allows). Which is best, staying with a person they know or staying in a place they know??

My rabbit loves strangers. Especially new ones she can have a good sniff over and if food is involved i dont even get a look in! :lol:

most of mine don't care who feeds them, its the food wot counts. however if they are out when guests are here generally sooty will be very curious and will come up and say hello to everyone, especially if you smell of other bunnies when you will get a proper chinning, honey is getting a little better but will usually keep clear if there are too many people in the room but will be a bit more outgoing if it is just one or two. Rosie and panda will have a bit of a run around but wont let people go near them....rosie will attempt to nick lemons out of glasses :shock: and spicy pork off pizza :shock::shock: if you let her so we have to keep an eye on her.

Thanks folks! I imagine that Benson and Lola shouldn't care then as long as they get their food! It'll be me who is a nervous wreck wondering how they are doing!! :roll:

Back