• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alternatives to Septrin for Long Term Kidney infections?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Damson has kidney stones which are resulting in kidney infections around the stones sites. He is ok about the stones most of the time BUT the infection hurts when it flares up.

We have been managing it with Septrin BUT the vets say that if he is kept permanently on Septrin he will build up resistance. Trouble is when we take him off it it only takes about a week for the infection to come back.

Anyone any ideas as to what could be used instead?

As I understand it Septrin is ideal as it work in the anaerobic areas of the kidney for which Baytril and metranidozol are not so ideal . . but perhaps I am wrong?
Anyone else been in this situation?

Thank you!! I was hoping you would hop along soon . . . after the panic with the cocoa butter was resolved:lol::lol:

I did wonder why she had not offered something like this BUT it was my OH who took Damson this time so I was relying on communication second hand. When I go in with him I will suggest it.

In the meantime I am going to start a daily diary for him to chart his reactions to the various regimes - at present we are having to deal with pain (and then stasis) due to the kidney stones which seems different to the slight stasis caused by . . . well probably kidney infection. They are marked by him adopting slightly different 'curled' positions depending which is bothering him.

Fortunately today he is very very fit and well again and hopping around all over the place!

But then yesterday we re-started the Septrin after a 10 day lay off for re-testing.

He does seem very prone to cold though and we have a heat lamp going all the time in the room he is in so he can choose to lay under it.

PS Just read the link . . fortunately Damson is not breast feeding at the moment:shock::shock::shock: (he is a 9 year old neutered buck!:lol::lol:)

I had a rescue bun who had a kidney infection (his owners had taken him to the vets to be PTS). A friend of mine took him in and got him treated by Guy Chambers (Medivet) but I can't remember what antibiotic was used. I'll text her to find out.

Thanks abbeymarysmokey! The complication is that the infection is being triggered by the stone . . and so we seem to have pain alternately from the stone shifting (as they do) and from the infection. We can't 'cure' the stone but must tackle the infection every time it is triggered.

Back