• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not always a unhappy ending

angieb

Mama Doe
i know most of the rabbits bought in petshops dont have a happy life......but in my case they did.
I (not knowing what i know now) got my children 2 rabbits. I am not stupid and realised i would do most of the caring for them as my little girl is disabled aged 8 and my boys are 4 and 2. I ended up getting 2 girls who the petshop told me would go together.....they didnt. :roll:
They started off in 2 5ft cages and had alot of free range in our outbuidings at the bottom of the garden. I decided that they were too far away from us so got them a chicken coop style enclosure. not more space but i figured that if they could see more of the goings on theyd be happier than stuck in a shed on their own. :? plus i could see them anytime rather than trecking up the garden. :roll:
i knew i was going to get them spayed but it took me 18mths to pluck up the courage to do it. i did do it and still thought that theyd never bond together so i got a double dog kennel thinking i might get them a boy each :D
after speaking to kayj i tried them together and they bonded really quickly. :D
now they are so happy in their 20ft kennel/run.
I do wish people would do reseach befor getting a rabbit from a petshop. I learnt the hard way and would always get one now from a rescue.
The moral of this long post is that not all rabbits sold in petshops are neglected. I went in blind but now i think my buns are well looked after.....notice how i said my buns. :lol: Even the children say mummys rabbits, they dont even know i originally got them for them. :lol:

What a lovely story - I agree, I got sooty from a family member that bred :evil: and Oreo from P@H and admit i didnt have a clue about rabbits!!

I soon learnt and now have 2 'rescue' rabbits aswell - I think the majority of people would automatically go to a pet shop but hopefully will find RU after like we did :D

unless your the type of person to sign up and ask for help...most people dont and thats where the problems start. :roll: my OH would NEVER sign up on anything and ask for advice. I know loads of people that wouldnt, they wait for answers to come to them or the problem to go away. :roll: When i mention this forum to people they are always amazed that there is a forum for rabbits...:roll: plus they think im mad at the amount ive spent on 2 rabbits. i agree ive spent alot but i need to like it aswell as them liking it! :lol::lol::lol:

unless your the type of person to sign up and ask for help...most people dont and thats where the problems start. :roll: my OH would NEVER sign up on anything and ask for advice. I know loads of people that wouldnt, they wait for answers to come to them or the problem to go away. :roll: When i mention this forum to people they are always amazed that there is a forum for rabbits...:roll: plus they think im mad at the amount ive spent on 2 rabbits. i agree ive spent alot but i need to like it aswell as them liking it! :lol::lol::lol:

That always fascinates me too..... people will use the web for research on their next dishwasher, which t.v to buy next, to chat to people everywhere but when it comes to their pets they don't even think about doing research on the web and listen to out-of-date books and pet shops instead. I know so many fully computer-literate and intelligent people who end up keeping their animals in too-small cages feeding them rubbish. :( xx

I tell them that almost all of my animals are with me as a result of finding them on the web in one rescue or another and that all my cages are from the web and I thank the forums for the information I have and they look at me like I'm mad! :roll:

Good for you angie is all I can say. Thanks to you your children will grow up knowing the best way too. :love:

I have no problem really with people that come on here having got a bun' / buns' from somewhere or another *but* I do get annoyed when they post pics of their teensy cage and when politely advised that it isn't big enough / their bun' needs more hay or whatever they just say 'well they're happy and we're sticking with it' and refuse to listen. Now *that* annoys me lol!

I love your set-up. I'd happily move in there never mind the rabbits! :lol:

Back