• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

General anaesthetic whilst in stasis?

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Bailey is in minor stasis at the moment, she had pain relief injection about 8 hours ago and since then has been picking at food, shes producing very tiny droppings though, the reason shes in stasis is because her molars have spurred and are causing her alot of pain, vet suggested she have them filed tomorow morning under GA, is GA safe whilst a buns in this state??
thanks x

My bun Bertie suffers with his molars and at the end of last year, he hid the fact that he had a sore mouth from me very well. He suddenly went into stasis and the vet admitted him. They gave him pain relief and put him on a drip and she ended up giving him a general anaesthetic and burring his teeth while he was in stasis as she said that he probably wouldn't eat until his mouth was less sore - vicious circle. Bertie recovered well, it took a few days but he got over it. If Bailey has had pain relief she will be a little more comfortable. Can you get her to eat some greens or something soft? If she's passing some poos that's a good sign. You need to make sure she's drinking though.

My little man had the same problem.
Roland had a wave mouth and a sore tongue.Was prescribed pain relief, antibiotics,gut motililty meds and bio lapis.I syringed and syringed.Roland was taken in and put on a drip.Then he was fed by the vet nurses.....and the pooh started.He then had his GA and dental.He returned home the same day and I had to carry on with meds.The poohs kept coming....and havent stopped.
Fluids in Gut stasis are so important....just keep going with the fluids.A bit of a move around....and hope your bun gets better.Your vet will be happy as long as bun is hydrated.
Vibes.xxxxx

Thanks thats really reassuring, i syringed her loads of water this morning, it was shocking how much she picked up after just a few syringes, now baileys had pain relief shes picked up and is acting more herself again, which means she wont let a syringe anywhere near her, she actually just punched one out of my hand a minute ago :roll:,
theyve given me biolapis but she wont go near it by her self so im a bit stuck on wether to leave it and see if she'll drink it later or give her normal water which she'll probley go for now...

Thanks thats really reassuring, i syringed her loads of water this morning, it was shocking how much she picked up after just a few syringes, now baileys had pain relief shes picked up and is acting more herself again, which means she wont let a syringe anywhere near her, she actually just punched one out of my hand a minute ago :roll:,
theyve given me biolapis but she wont go near it by her self so im a bit stuck on wether to leave it and see if she'll drink it later or give her normal water which she'll probley go for now...

Bunny Burrito......them theres fluids have gotta go in!!!!
I had to give Roland 100 mls aday at least.....:roll:

hhmm, thought so, just put down a bowl of fresh non biolapis water and she went for it, she just hates the biolapis, lasttime she was in stasis she wouldnt touch it, i guess aslong as shes eating and drinking bits thats the best i can hope for

Well, Paws crossed.Give her a nose rub too and shes a good girl for getting stuck in...Knows the words Bunny Burrito,I guess!!!Love her!!!:lol::lol:

Thanks yvette, and wizbit, youve both really reassured me about ga and dental, before i was considering cancelling the dental till her belly felt normal again. am still worried about GA, but theres no other option, so am just gonna have to get on with it, cross my fingers and occupy myself with somthing from 8-3 tomrow!

Stasis and GAs

My girl rab had to have her dental spurs done whilst in mild stasis since they were probably causing the problem. She bounced RIGHT back and has carried on keeping me in check ever since.Bite the bullet and good luck xx

just out of intrest i know it can be different with all bunns, but how often do you all have to have their teeth filed?

Dropped bailey off this morn, just hoping shes gonna be ok, its her first time under GA, and my first animal thats had to go under :?

Hope Bailey is ok?Is she a house bun or garden bun?I tend to keep mine in the house the night after a GA(with their partner). Lots of metacama nd fluids and most importantly cuddles!!!!!!!!!!

Just got Bailey home, shes still really sleepy and she came round at 1ish the vet said, bit worried as she also has dried blood down her lip and wont let me near her with a syringe...
shes had pain relief, gut motility etc...

I'm a firm beleiver in skin to skin (well fur to clothes) in circumstances like this. I keep a poorly bun wrapped and actually on my chest.I talk to them and comfort them.I would try v hard to dip a little fluid each hour (even a few mls at a time).If she's not taking any fluid or brightening up I'ld call your emergency vet and see if she needs some subcut fluids or hospitilisation. Lots and lots of luck,know it's heart breaking xx

shes drinking water by her self and has nibbled some hay and parsley, her teeth are really sore though, she seems ok at the moment, just a bit sleepy still
thanks for the advice x

Oh bless her!!!!!Yep if she's doing it all on her own leave her be!!!Apart from cuddles of course,you can never go wrong with cuddles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shes really up and down, she was drinking and nibbling a few hours ago now shes hunched up again :( her teeth are painfull she keeps slurping, i hope thyve been done properley, i wasnt expecting to see blood on her lip when i picked her up

does anyone know how long the anesthtic can last, she had injection rather than gas, she came round about 10hours ago now, she perked up when i got her home, had a long drink and a nibble, but now shes just hunched up in her cage, i cant tell wether shes dozing or in pain...

Back