• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggresive behaviour

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
Hi
My bunny Ash has a terrible temprement he bites nips and scrabbles when I hold, that is I do get him he wont let anyone near him he grunts and attacks anything that goes near him, i dont want him to be spayed because i may bread him (read preious post) Does anyone have a solution Please it is making my life hell

If he has this sort of temperament should you really be breeding him ?

I am not pro or anti breeding but I know most breeders breed to improve temperament ..

maybe you should get him neutered and get him a friend, this may calm him down a bit :)

Hi
My bunny Ash has a terrible temprement he bites nips and scrabbles when I hold, that is I do get him he wont let anyone near him he grunts and attacks anything that goes near him, i dont want him to be spayed because i may bread him (read preious post) Does anyone have a solution Please it is making my life hell

He would calm down if neutered though that may not be the response you are wanting to hear. I would add though that not many rabbits actually like to be 'held'. My Jack is getting a total softy and loves being fussed and stroked and loves his nose-rubs but he hates being picked up and will scrabble.

But as for a solution - it is getting him neutered.

May I also add - if he has an aggressive temperament he may well pass this on to any babies he fathers - please bear that in mind!

thanks for the pointers I will seriously think about getting him neuterd but same thing because he is fine being stroked but its just getting him out of his hutch thats the problem:D

He would calm down if neutered though that may not be the response you are wanting to hear. I would add though that not many rabbits actually like to be 'held'. My Jack is getting a total softy and loves being fussed and stroked and loves his nose-rubs but he hates being picked up and will scrabble.

But as for a solution - it is getting him neutered.

May I also add - if he has an aggressive temperament he may well pass this on to any babies he fathers - please bear that in mind!

^
As said here really. Sorry.

The temperament thing is a very good point. An aggressive rabbit is likely to pass on these traits to his offspring, so you'll end up with aggressive kits. Teddy's and Ruby's dads were un-neutered (and were around females) and they never showed the tiniest hint of aggression. Whilst neutering can help, sometimes the personality is just grumpy!

thanks for the pointers I will seriously think about getting him neuterd but same thing because he is fine being stroked but its just getting him out of his hutch thats the problem:D

They are prey animals so often don't like to feel restricted. They can become territorial too about their hutch etc.

Another question - how big is his hutch? A minimum size is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with attached 6ft x 4ft run. Bunnies are intelligent and need lots of exercise and in smaller space can become frustrated and depressed (especially if kept alone) which may contribute to his issues. :)

I dont think his behaviour is grumpy nuss (not trying to be rude) he is very aggresive by which i mean biting anything that comes near him literally anything

I dont think his behaviour is grumpy nuss (not trying to be rude) he is very aggresive by which i mean biting anything that comes near him literally anything

He could have an aggressive nature....it could just be because he's sexually frustrated and unhappy from all the hormones surging through him. Does he live near the doe?

his run is about 2 metres wide and 5 metres long plus hutch which is added on which is about 1.5 metres long. Also he digs very deep holes is this a sign he wants to escape or is tis natural behaviour? and also no he doesnt live near the doe. He is 10 months old does he have hormones at this age?

Yep, neutering should help the problem :wave:

I don't suppose you've seen the series of 'Britains Worst Pet' with the aggressive rabbit? The vets on that programme suggested neutering and it worked wonders for his temperament :D

his run is about 2 metres wide and 5 metres long plus hutch which is added on which is about 1.5 metres long. Also he digs very deep holes is this a sign he wants to escape or is tis natural behaviour? and also no he doesnt live near the doe. He is 10 months old does he have hormones at this age?

I'd say it's hormones. That run sounds like a brilliant size! :D Unneutered bunnies dig, so it's natural behaviour...he's not trying to escape. You might have to mesh the bottom of the run, or put it on concrete. If you decided to neuter him then it'd probably stop, and you'd be allowed cuddles! :love: You can't beat bunny cuddles!

Is his hutch a double level one or single? A 5ft hutch is fine in double size, but might be a little bit small if it's a single. Have you thought of getting a 6ft hutch? A lot of members on here have sheds instead.

How big is the little man?

ash he is quite small not a big breed id say about 20 cm only 10 months bless him and yes your right bunny cudddles are the best

yes this is frustrated hormone,

i got my old boy neutered at age 5 he was never ever agressive( and ive had him since 12 weeks old ), i was sprayed on, mounted, well slippers were,but never grunted or lunged or biten out of anger,

granted he hates being picked up, out of all my buns i only have ONE thats a snuggle cuddle bun,

buns natrually dont like being picked up as in the wild mr fox picks them up before ripping them apart.

the only time he bit me was when he sunk his teeth into my arm so he could mount my hand, still got scar.

its also spring, even neutered bunnies are going through frustration at mo,

so back to neutering this will calm him loads, most likely still wont like being picked up, but id say alot calmer

Back