• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I may be seeking a 'retirement home' for my now lone degu..

Hanlou

Mama Doe
Well am sort of asking advice and am sort of 'putting out feelers' ......

I had two degus left out of the group I had but sadly Basil-degu has died. :cry: x

Basil was not a young degu - he was always weather-beaten and had cataracts when he first came - and we've had him three years so it wasn't a big surprise but still upsetting obviously. The two degus he came with have already died, bless them. (Basil was neutered already when I got him).

However this has left us with a lone degu, Rosie. We're not sure of Rosie's age but she came to us only a few months after Basil with her sister (who has since passed on) - I'd guess she's about 4 years old if not a bit more. At the moment we aren't planning on getting anymore degus so I'm left with a dilemma really...... Rosie could live a while yet as she's lovely and healthy and very active ........ so much as it would hurt to let her go we're not sure it would really be in her best interests to keep her here alone. :(

She was rehomed via a rescue in Surrey who I have been in touch with. They haven't replied so far but if I can find someone who will give her a retirement home with other degus I will let them know and pass on the details etc. and run it by them. I don't really want Rosie to have to travel all the way back to them in Surrey and they have their hands full with many, many meeces at the moment anyway!

I feel awful but want the best for Rosie. She is friendly but doesn't like being handled - she'll take treats off you quite happily and things like that though. She loves her wheel (large John Hopewell metal wheel) and it will go with her whatever happens.

If anyone can offer any advice or a retirement home please get in touch. I'm so sad about this..... but am want to do what's right by Rosie...... it's so difficult to know what's best to do. :?

She seems ok at the moment.

This is Rosie:

P1030540.jpg

P1030552.jpg

Back