• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for people with aivaries/dog kennels

Rosiesmummy

Warren Scout
The new bunny mansion is being delivered tomorrow :D woo hoo cant wait :lol:
but was wondering how people find the floor inside the run bit when theres bad weather? we,ve asked for a solid wood back wall on the back of the run bit but there will still be one end and a front open with mesh , i,m gonna buy some perspex and get hubby to make some panels for really bad rain and wind to cover the mesh but just wondering how others manage? does the floor end up very wet? also does rain manage to run underneath and into the run area that way from the patio? has any one ever put a floor down with either wood or lino? but understand with a floor their nails would need to be checked regularly......appreciate your replies :D

Usually the run part doesn't have a floor. All the ones I looked at only had a floor in the shed part. I bet you can't wait! Your buns will love it!

Usually the run part doesn't have a floor. All the ones I looked at only had a floor in the shed part. I bet you can't wait! Your buns will love it!

sorry not made myself very clear have i :lol: i ment does the flags in the run area end up very wet

How exciting. My bun aviary is built and screwed with masonary nails on to a patio. The sides that get exposed to the elements during winter I screen with Tarpaulin sheets which have eyelets/loops along the edges and I have some hooks to fix them to. These also get used when its hot to create shade.

It might get partially wet in the run but there is plenty of dry areas left and I honestly think they sometimes like the rain :roll: but I do have a roof on mine too.

As with all patios there is a really tiny gradient thing so no water runs in.

Hope that helps

edited to say when I say partially wet I mean if the wind blows rain!

How exciting. My bun aviary is built and screwed with masonary nails on to a patio. The sides that get exposed to the elements during winter I screen with Tarpaulin sheets which have eyelets/loops along the edges and I have some hooks to fix them to. These also get used when its hot to create shade.

It might get partially wet in the run but there is plenty of dry areas left and I honestly think they sometimes like the rain :roll: but I do have a roof on mine too.

As with all patios there is a really tiny gradient thing so no water runs in.

Hope that helps

edited to say when I say partially wet I mean if the wind blows rain!

thanks for that :) mine has a roof on too with a quite a good overhang so as long as the perspex windows are in place over the mesh in really bad weather im presuming minimal can get underneath the wood panels that sit on the floor ?

Mine sometimes do in very bad rain! But we plugged the bad up with tarpoulin and then we went around the 'skirting board' in the kennel with wood, so it in now all kind of enclosed, which keeps it dry :)

They will love it, I know D&J do theirs :) x

thanks for that :) mine has a roof on too with a quite a good overhang so as long as the perspex windows are in place over the mesh in really bad weather im presuming minimal can get underneath the wood panels that sit on the floor ?

Yes, I would think nothing would get underneath. Sounds lovely :)

i think you have to accept that its going to be a little damp......mines on tarmac and sounds simular to yours.....i have only had it a week and its rained loads already :roll:
i have lined the shed parts with lino and the run floor does get damp so i have put a old small hutch in there so they can sit in or on that if they like. i havent covered the mesh as yet as i think they would have the sense to shelter in really bad weather. :? i have also put guttering on the back to minimise the amount of rain dripping down the back.
after all this i love it! :love: :lol: i am sure you will be pleased as well.
where did you get it from? how big is it and if you dont mind me asking how much was it? :oops: :)

The run on mine used to get soaked inside. :roll: Guttering along the back and a clear tarpaulin across the front and it's now nice and dry all the time. :D

We left a good overhang of corrolux when we made the roof of our aviary and its up against a fence and has some tree protection so we find it doesn't get too wet, flag floor, husband also built the hardstanding with the regulation run off so water doesn't hang around.

i think you have to accept that its going to be a little damp......mines on tarmac and sounds simular to yours.....i have only had it a week and its rained loads already :roll:
i have lined the shed parts with lino and the run floor does get damp so i have put a old small hutch in there so they can sit in or on that if they like. i havent covered the mesh as yet as i think they would have the sense to shelter in really bad weather. :? i have also put guttering on the back to minimise the amount of rain dripping down the back.
after all this i love it! :love: :lol: i am sure you will be pleased as well.
where did you get it from? how big is it and if you dont mind me asking how much was it? :oops: :)

thats my plan to line the housing bit with lino too :) Blaze,s current hutch has lino and its so easy to keep clean, especially as he will will only pee in a litter tray and my new girl is the same :)........... lol at the "having sense to keep where its dry " :lol: mine have both just had half hr each playtime on the patio and each time it has rained hard and had to run round to try and get them :lol: in little monkeys :lol:
i,ve ordered mine from here http://www.stusanimalhousing.co.uk/avaries.htm mines "The Harrior" in flights and aiveries section i,ve ordered a 10ft x 6ft one , the housing is 4ft x 4ft with a 2ft x 2ft corridor and the run is 6ft x 6ft we,had a few alterations made as we wanted all the back made of wood rather than having the mesh as they will have access 24/7 and a bigger opening from the housing to the run we will also put ramps and shelfs in eventually to double up this size too :) all in all he let me have it for what he sell them on ebay for which was £450 then it was an extra £30 for the wood back and £50 delivery (he delivers himself if you live within 100 mines and we are clocking 95 miles :lol: ) love to see pictures of yours :D

Back