• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Theeth spurs causing stasis...advice needed!

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, Just wanted some help and advice ...
basically Bailey went in to GI stasis about 3 weeks ago and had to stay in at the vets, luckily she recoverd and was back to normal a week later,
Lastnight Bailey was really ill, she couldnt keep still she was rolling on the floor changing position every 10seconds and not eating or drinking, i got her straght back to the vets today as i thought she was in stasis again, the vet examined her teeth and basically the reason bailey keeps having these bouts of stasis is because her back teeth are very slightley out of alingment which has caused them to spur, which is in turn causing inflimation and pain every few weeks which is then causing her to go in to stasis, thankfully today i caught it so early ive got her eating bits of hay and dandilion leaves already after a pain injection at the vets, but the vet wants to put her under generall anesthetic tomorow morning to file down the spurs, she said it will be roughley £60 for the op 2moro but as baileys only 8 months old she could need this done every 8 months or less...
so first off im concerned that with bailey being a bit weak at the mo an operation isnt the best thing for her 2moro, and second im worried about the long term effects, so i was wondering what everyone thinks and if anyone else has had similar problems or advice for me.
any help appreciated :) x

Jimby has small spurs on his back teeth that have to be filled down every 2-3 months. Becasue Jimby is so sensitive and goes in to statis after very minimul stress, he has this done consiously (As it is minimal work) so if it is simply filling down the spurs and not heavy dental work I would recommend talking to your vet about a consious dental, as your baby is so young and obviously not in the best of heath right now a general anastetic could do more harm than good.

yeah apparentley they are small minor spurs, im worried about the anesthetic, the vet i always see is very rabbit savvy but it was a different vet today who i got the impression wasnt as rabbit savvy (she thought bailey was a few years old and she'd just done an examination of her teeth..and ive been told that a vet guesstimates a rabbits age by teeth...) anyway... im deffineley concerned as bailey is in mild stasis at the moment and is only eating and drinking because ive spent all day syringeing her and tempting her.
i dont mind paying the money because my only other option would be pts and i couldnt ever do that to her for the sake of a few hundred a year, :shock:
shes booked for 2moro now though, the vet did say that she would have to be under generall anesthetic as she wouldnt just sit there with her mouth open, how do they get around this with your bun..?

yeah apparentley they are small minor spurs, im worried about the anesthetic, the vet i always see is very rabbit savvy but it was a different vet today who i got the impression wasnt as rabbit savvy (she thought bailey was a few years old and she'd just done an examination of her teeth..and ive been told that a vet guesstimates a rabbits age by teeth...) anyway... im deffineley concerned as bailey is in mild stasis at the moment and is only eating and drinking because ive spent all day syringeing her and tempting her.
i dont mind paying the money because my only other option would be pts and i couldnt ever do that to her for the sake of a few hundred a year, :shock:
shes booked for 2moro now though, the vet did say that she would have to be under generall anesthetic as she wouldnt just sit there with her mouth open, how do they get around this with your bun..?[/QUOTE]

That is what I continually ask myslef!! :shock: Jims is more or less impossible to hold, we can not pick him up and even the vets struggle so how they are able to keep him still to do his teeth I will never know! :shock:
They would have to pop a gag in her mouth which I can imagine would be a bit stressful but not nearly as bad as a GA, which has every possibility of making her guts even worse!
I would urge them to try and do it consious, if a nurse can hold on to her while the vet is doing the dental they may well be able to manage.

bailey is very difficult with people she doesnt know, even then i still get the occasional bite, im really stuck with what to do, i want to do whats best for her and she needs the teeth filed down, i just feel tomorow is to soon after her upset lastnight and today, and tbh i really want to see the other vet, but dont want to insult the vet i saw today... does a GA and teeth file usually cause the bunn alot of stress, ive never had to have an animal put under GA before so i dont know what the after effects are on them :( i really thought she'd recoverd after the stasis the other week.

My bunny Jelly had a GA and a dental and when she came home she was a little quiet, as she is normally a little monkey! But the next day she was back to normal, it isnt as scary as it sounds so try not to worry.

I have have had my buns go through two neuters, a spay, a dental and three leg operations, and the GA was never an issue. The risk of not doing it so much bigger than the GA itself.

:) x

im just worried about her bout of stasis today, her stomach still feels like its full of air and shes only picking at hay and herbs; she was so ill lastnight aswell which has spooked me, i didnt go to sleep i was that worried id wake up and find her dead... she was laying on her back with her mouth wide open and when her mouth wasnt open the teeth grinding sounded like someone treading on glass, shes not letting me syringe her now shes perked up abit aswell which means no biolapis as of yet today,

about 2.00 today, the vet gave her an injection, im not sure what it was. she seems perked up but not herself yet, apparentley it will last about 24 hours and seeing as she's supposed to be going for the dental tomorow morning it 'should' cover her till the teeth are filed, im worried she'll be even worse and will go back in to full blown stasis again though from the stress of the dental, but if i leave the dental and she picks up tomrow theres no saying she wont suddenley go downhill again before i can get another appointment! im so confused :roll:

Both my rabbits are dental buns - my Ginger needs doing every 3/4 weeks!! They've always had GA, as I should imagine the risk of heart attack is pretty great with a consious dental (these aren't even offered at most vets) so I prefer to take the GA risk. They've had quite a few and always come through ok.

Loads of vibes for Bailey!

Baileys almost 10months so im hoping that the spurs will take a long time to come back, £60 every 4-6 weeks is more than i can think about...
this kind of thing makes you wish you'd got insurence though

i thought that might be the case :roll: ,
i thought her diet was spot on, but maybe i should try somthing different,
she has science selective, timothy and meadow hay, willow sticks, inch of carrot a day, i thought this sort of stuff would wear the teeth down, any suggestions on anything else?

Back