• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Webcams/CCTV to watch the buns over the internet?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I am starting school placement soon and was wondering if there was some way to set up a camera so I can check in on them while I am at school.... I am sure someone on here has one...!! Anyone able to reccommend a system? Thanks :)

I have used a webcam on my laptop which is being streamed over the net via my account on justin.tv. I have to leave my laptop and cam on all day though. Not as great as a proper system but probably cheaper :lol:

I have used a webcam on my laptop which is being streamed over the net via my account on justin.tv. I have to leave my laptop and cam on all day though. Not as great as a proper system but probably cheaper :lol:

Our place is all bills included but Andy would use the laptop if he were here and not set it up when he left if you know what I mean, do you use that to watch benny?

yup i have a wireless camera.. only problem is my router is on its way out so its hit and miss actually getting to view the thing lol

we have the linksys wirelessG (WVC54GCA) pretty decent for a cheapo camera. its not the best when the light goes, when the sun begins to set its like nigttime but i just put the light on and its ok.

it allows 4 connections too :D

http://87.194.25.50:63000 <<< thats the link to see what it looks like (thats if my router plays fair and lets you connect)

Ste set it up so i cant claim i know how to do it :oops::lol::lol:

i have a webcam, which i use to spy on my back garden if im worried that someone has caused damage, and want to catch who :lol::oops:

they usually start to hange around from about 10;30 waiting on pellets... but the time change has threw them i think :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have some cameras setup, but the video server I use is so poor I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Basically you need a Network Video Camera also known as an IP Camera. You do have to set up your router to allow connections from the Internet, but this shouldn't be too hard, it's just forwarding a port.
There are a range of them here:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Cameras/Network-IP-Cameras

The other option is to use a normal webcam and leave your computer on all the time. You can get various software programs that would let you view your webcame over the internet.

Back