• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neuter - vet near Thurrock advice

Ladygarden

Young Bun
Hi,

Arnold was booked in for his neuter this morning after getting the OK from who I thought was a bunny savvy vet last Monday. Well I booked couple days off work so could make sure he was OK after GA but when he was seen this morning for administration by nurse I was told that he wasn't ready and that I'd need to come back in 2 months..... (she double checked with another vet). He's 16 weeks old so probably only just borderline, but to have the other vet at the practice say he was ready last week was all a bit annoying.

I'm looking for a new vet near Thurrock if anyone could recommend. I used to take my dog to Wylie's in Upminster and they were excellent, but not sure what they're like with buns.

Will waiting another 2 months be too long? Is there a "best" age to do it at?

I'm calming down now but was full of v nasty words this morning :evil:

Thanks x

Well the main question is: can you see his balls? If so he should be ready for neutering. I suppose if they think he is underweight or has some other condition then they will want to wait a bit.

Is it just that his plums haven't dropped? They can't neuter if they haven't, but they should have checked first really before booking him in.

I use Riverside vets in Southend Road, Grays - I had a few problems with a locum (who told me Bubbles didn't need to be spayed) but it's fine as long as she's not there - I've not seen her in ages, so assume she's moved on.

Louise and Gus uses Wylie in Upminster and she speaks very highly of them though. :D:D I can't remember the name of the bunny savvy vet but I'm sure Lou will see this. ;)

Yes, definitely go with Wylie's if you can. :) My current vet rings that one for advice.

Thanks very much for your advice guys, I did think about the one in Southend Road as my parents used it over the years for the many random animals we always used to come home with. Think I'll try Wylie's though. Thanks for the name of the vet, I'll leave it a couple of weeks and book him in.

Annoyingly though the vet who I went to see for his jabs (Apex in Chafford Hundred) told me loads about rabbits and said he'd learnt from some guy in Wickford who is the local rabbit man (apparently), I was so chuffed that I'd struck lucky. He def checked his bits out and said he was ready. Unsure who the nurse asked today as she took my bun out the back room, she was under the impression that I'd just brought him in off my own accord.

I'm sure they're really good and was probably just a missunderstanding or difference of opinion. I'll see if my OH can help me with checking his bits out later (my bun not OH!) :D

Still, couple of days off work, even in the rain, can't grumble....

Thanks again
x

I used to see Alex Maute at Wickford, but he's no longer at the practice. As I understand it (could be wrong here), the man at Wickford before that was the man at Wylie's!

So this could be the famous William the vet was referring to last week. He said that he'd carried out a study on why rabbits should only eat grass due to their mandibles etc., quite fascinating!

Back