• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

surprise litter, urgent advice needed please

i don't know if this the right section but i couldn't seem to find a breeding section. i've posted this on another forum i belong to & this forum was recommended to me. this is a c&p of what i posted on the other forum.

bit in shock so bare with me. yesterday i got gorgeous english rabbits handed in to me mum, dad & 2 babies (5 months & 9 months). they'd all been living together & none are neutered. first thing i did when i got them was to separate dad & let the 3 girls have the largest hutch i have.
common sense told me that at least one could be pregnant so i thought about separating the girls as well but wasn't sure if i should as they're bonded. anyhoo, went out this morning & there's babies i the girl's hutch. not sure how many but they can only have been born last night or this morning. they weren't there when i did my final before bed check on them all.
now what do i do? i have a pregant female handed in to me before so i know what do with a litter etc but i don't know who mum is. do i really need to seperate them all & if i do how do i work out which one is mum?

then i found a dead kit & posted this.

this cannot end well. i've got a dead one, it looks like she's had them in the corner of the hutch then moved them to a nest. the poor thing only came to me yesterday afternoon & hasn't had chance to make a proper nest. the dead one was in the corner where i'm guessing she had them. i also think i've worked out who mum is, it's the 9 month old. she's got blood on her nose & i picked her up & she's got blood around her back end.

any advice/help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, no experience of kits myself I'm afraid. Hope someone will be along soon to help you - maybe adjust your thread title to read something more like Surprise Litter Urgent

o.k i'll do that. it's not help with the babies as such, like i said i've had a surprise litter before it's just that i've got 3 females in one hutch and a surprise litter.

Yes I understand but I think the new title will better draw the right people to help you with that - fingers crossed - I do remember a similar thread recently, of course you need to be sure which one is mum, can you check for milk production, hairloss where she's lined the nest?

Do you need help identifying with doe is the mother of the kits? I'm not experience with breeding issues, but is it possible to tell if any of the does are lactating? Or watch out to see which doe feeds the babies?

bunny, dont move any of the females until youve found out who mum is :)

but i don't know how i'd find out. none seem to be lactating & i suspect it's the 9 month old because of the blood & her nipples are pinker than the other 2. oh god i hope i'm right because i've moved them now. not the mum & babies, the other 2.

if you arent sure which bun is mum i would leave them all in ...as long as you are sure they are females .

better that than take the wrong one out ..

good luck

if you arent sure which bun is mum i would leave them all in ...as long as you are sure they are females .

better that than take the wrong one out ..

good luck

Yeah - I did this with two girlies I picked up. i didn't know who gave birth - I did catch one bun feeding them about 4 weeks later & it wasn't the one I thought had given birth, so I was glad I hadn't moved her!

ETA: I lost one two, but the other six were fine:love:

oh b*gger. now what do i do then? nearly everyone i asked said to separate them. now i have, i've got 2 people saying not to.
what's the only way to find out for sure? to see if a bun actually feeds them?

Back