• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Golden poos but runny cecotrophs?!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Is this possible? Daisy is producing some gorgeous golden poos but shes also got a mucky bottom and left some runny poo. Im assuming it is cecotroph material as it has that 'smell' and her normal poos are fine. I originally posted this in Rabbit Chat and came to the conclusion I dont think shes too fat to clean herself, Im not feeding too much dry food (now less than 10pellets between her & Duds), and no variation in the veg and Ive cut down on it! She had a botty bath but the next day the same thing. I'm now putting the Probiotic powder in their water bowl (nice swamp green colour) but I dont know if shes had any?! They wont use a water bottle so I can't measure it that way.

Im reluctant to take her to my vet as they will only ask the questions Ive just answered and to be honest they arent that great! I was at a rabbit awareness evening there and their rabbit 'expert' said to give yogurt to rabbits with diarrhea!!!!

Assuming it is nothing more sinister than an imbalance in her gut flora could I give some Baytril to kill it all off and then some fibreplex or something to build up the good ones again?!

Hmm this is strange :?
I would recommend giving some fibreplex and maybe syringing some of the gut neutraliser (Can not think what it is called atm) so you know she is getting some.
But I would say that if this ha been going on for a little while now I would seriously look around for a rabbit savvy vet in your area and have her checked over.

hmmm. its odd. At least she is producing good poops i guess, but its strange.

Does this mean i have to wash bunny bums!

Did you ever try changing over the hay? As I said before, I definitely had a problem with a particular hay once, where the bun was eating so much of it that it caused excess caecotrophs.

Sounds like you might need to find a vet that will look into it a bit further... can't remember if you said whether the teeth had been checked.

S-J I'm really hoping her tummy will have calmed down by Wednesday!!!

Sarah Im cutting it down and mixing it with another hay! If things get back to normal Im never gonna know what the cause is coz Ive cut down on all sorts! I won't take any dust free hay to S-Js so I think if everything settles down while they are there I guess the hay will be the cause!

I have some fiberplex here so I'll give that a go as well! Bunnies are one drama after another :lol:

Baytril will kill off the good bacteria too and probably upset things further - I can see your logic but it probably wouldn't work quite that neatly.

Is she overweight? A physical problem preventing her eating the poop is certainly one explanation. It can also be mobility related - does she move about okay?

If she's a little overweight even if it's not physically stopping her eating then you may need to up her exercise as well as reduce her pellets. Moving about can help the gut function better too.

She moves around fine she zooms up and down the stairs with no problem and jumps easily up and down on the 3 levels of their NIC house. They are free range so she had plenty of room to run around. She is a little overweight because she eats faster and more than Dudley!

It is odd as nothing has changed in their routine apart from I have been feeding Dust Free Hay which Daisy loves! Also it might have coincided with the poor greens?!

Back