• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay Aftercare?

Peanut-Toffee

Warren Veteran
Finally gonna get Toffee booked in to be spayed! But just wondering what kinda after care is needed?
Will she need any sort of medication afterwards?
Im off work next Thurs-Mon but Im away Fri afternoon-Mon morning. My Dad would be looking after the animals and would keep an eye on her, but wouldnt be able to give medication.
If I booked her in for Thurs morning, Id be with her till Fri afternoon.

I try to book mine in when i have a week off with them although Belle was fine after a day,Stew wasn't but she is a porly bun anyway.
They usually give them pain relief after the op that lasts at least a day. They need to be kept warm and inside for a day or two. Keep an eye out to make sure they are eating and pooping although the vets usually make sure they are before they discharge them. When mine came home they just slept and didn't eat for a day.
Sometimes they give extra pain relief if needed so it would depend on your buns and your vet....have you rung them to ask them?

Finally gonna get Toffee booked in to be spayed! But just wondering what kinda after care is needed?
Will she need any sort of medication afterwards?
Im off work next Thurs-Mon but Im away Fri afternoon-Mon morning. My Dad would be looking after the animals and would keep an eye on her, but wouldnt be able to give medication.
If I booked her in for Thurs morning, Id be with her till Fri afternoon.

She shouldn't need any meds as such. She will be given pain relief by the vet before you pick her up. It might be wise to ask for some recovery diet and fibreplex in case she needs a little bit of food syringing to get her eating again. I also have metacam, but speak to your vet about that.

She'll need to be kept quiet and warm and you'll need to regularly check the wound to make sure she hasn't bothered it.

I've just had my Petal done and I was a bit concerned as it took her a good few days to get back to normal.

Oh right, well my Dad wouldnt check the wound or anything, he'd just feed her!
I work full time shift work usually so thought this would be the best time as im off all day on day of the op, and will be with her most of the 2nd day. Hmm, I guess she'd be ok?

OK just rung up and booked her in. Its £63 which includes all medication during the op, she doesnt come home with any pain relief unless I feel she needs it once shes at home, and that would be £10-15 extra.
Does this all sound ok? Is there anything I need to make sure they do/dont do?

give hay to eat but avoid hay or straw where she lies as this may irritate the wound dont use sawdust either,just use paper for bedding.Girlies may take a little while to start eating but they should have started by next day if not you may need to go back to the vet for extra pain relief etc [my boys have always eaten straight away]
Keep an eye on her that she doesnt seem overly interested in her wound-overlicking it or pulling at any stitches [if she has external stitches].I'd also check her wound daily for any redness,discharge etc which may indicate infection.
Best of luck :D

Shes free range in the spare room but I do have a Zoozone 1 cage which I was thinking of keeping her in just for the first night? Apart from that she'd stay free range, her hay is usually on the floor and she lies in but will get a hay rack or something!

I had my rabbit spayed last week.The vet sent me home with some metacam pain relief to last about 4 days, an it only cost 3 pound. I put some fleace blankets in her cage so that it was nice and soft on her wound as i usually use straw and was advised that this could stick in her wound and cause some discomfort.
You could buy her some of her favourite herbs to nibble on after her op (thats all my bun would eat for 24 hours after op) i also put some water in a bowl for her, instead of using a water bottle. Just make sure she is kept nice and warm, and is left in nice quiet surroundings to recover. :) hope everything goes well for your bun :)

Puppy training pads are brill for post op bunnies as they are slightly cushioned and absorb really well.

As others have said, fleece blankets, lots of food to tempt her to eat after the op, water, critical care. She will also need to rest. Your Dad needs to make sure she is eating and pooping. If she grinds her teeth, she will be in pain and won't eat.

You would be better booking her in on a day you are at work and then taking the day off after to look after her. There is not a lot you can do on the day of the op.

OK thank you! I only tend to have Sundays and Mondays off which is no good as Id be working Tues-Sat then! The Wed before my 5 days off Im working 6-3 so cant even get her in then, as my Dad wouldnt be able to pick her up and take her in for me!
This is the best I can do, I trust my Dad and I'll only be about an hour and a half away by train if anything major happens!
Its a shame I dont have a cage to keep her in while Im away just to keep her even safer, but the room isnt very big anyway and theres nothing she can catch herself on.

I went to a vets the other day (not my usual) and asked about their spaying / neutering - they said they give a weeks anti-biotics 'just in case' after any operation- is this necessary?

I went to a vets the other day (not my usual) and asked about their spaying / neutering - they said they give a weeks anti-biotics 'just in case' after any operation- is this necessary?

No I don't think so, my girls never had antibiotics and its not something I would want to give them 'just incase' if there was nothing wrong

Back