• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French Lops..

BunnyJenni

Young Bun
:wave: Anyone got a french lop? Is there anything different in their care needs - other than extra space & food :lol:

Pics appreciated - especially ones that show a size comparison to a 'normal' sized rabbit (or person!) :D

I really want a french lop. I've been looking out for a female. I can't work out if my Alfie is a frenchie or just a very big bunny. He does need lots of space because when he lies down he's about 2ft long! Other than that I don't think they need anything else.

I really want a french lop. I've been looking out for a female. I can't work out if my Alfie is a frenchie or just a very big bunny. He does need lots of space because when he lies down he's about 2ft long! Other than that I don't think they need anything else.

There's a (I think...) frenchie at Kirkby at the moment. I think it may be a boy though... He's sooooo lovely :love::love:

I don't know much about any extra care. I'd never felt like I wanted a large rabbit until meeting the kirkby bun the other day. :lol:

I have a frenchie cross. He looks like a frenchie, but he's smaller coz he's crossed with a lionhead. So, he's a small hairy frenchie! :lol:

I have four Frenchies! :love::love::love:

After keeping me awake ALL night! (No exaggeration) I think I'll put Pixie up for sale! :lol::lol::lol: :shock:....I nearly cried, she was so bunnoying! :roll:

Frenchies are wonderful.....but it's imperative that they're well handled (or at least put up with it) as they can do lots of damage if they want to (Even when they don't want to.) They can grow to be about 7kg so I wouldn't want a confrontation with that! :shock: ....just something to think about...you don't know what freeads buns are going to be like!

They don't need anything different to other bunnies, other than a GIANT carrier.

This is my frenchiebum. He's called Wookie. You cant see his size on here, but he's around 3kgs :love: And he's very hairy :lol:

DSC03301.jpg

There's a (I think...) frenchie at Kirkby at the moment. I think it may be a boy though... He's sooooo lovely :love::love:

I don't know much about any extra care. I'd never felt like I wanted a large rabbit until meeting the kirkby bun the other day. :lol:

This boy, called Alfie, is gorgeous :love::love: if he was a girlie I would have taken him home to bond with my Alfie.

:wave: my doe willow was STILL growing when she died aged 22 months old. When she stood on her hind legs..her front paws rested on the kitchen worktop:shock::shock:

she was 3 months old when we got her and our puddy cats were 6 months old. They were with her 24/7 and she was as norty as they were:lol:

she wrecked everything..every morning shed destroyed something else:lol:

after she died i discovered a whole loads of my books minus their spines and covers:shock::lol:

bertie is way much smaller than her..hes over 5kg in weight..he was 10lb/5kg when i adopted him aged 18 months.

i will say in my experience i found the does to be the rambunctious norty ones...bertie more laid back and cuddly.

but thats cos willow prefferred berties company to ours and she adored running riot up and down the stairs doing the cat mad dash at 2 in the morning with the cats!! berties never ever even tried getting up the stairs.

i have found THE perfect litter tray for a big bottomed frenchie..esp one who likes to pee up the side of the litter tray as high as poss!! its £12.99 from dee millen. sounds too pricey but belive you me ive spent many times more than that over the years trying to find a pee over the edge proof litter tray!! its a corner one with a frontdrop down to the ground.

forget cages..use playpens..or like bertie has..the lounge kitchen and hallway!! he used to share his huge scooby doo tent with bif then willow but willow chewed the bits the poles go into in.

you can buy huge harness and leads for frenchies from the online shop at ross rabbits.

toys need to be big enough too!!! the huge jingle ball is a fave..as are footballs to push around.......anything they can chuck in the asir...even your armchair..no only kidding..but willow did give it a try:lol:

one advantage is once over 6 months you can relax more cos they cant squeeze into little spaces!! BUT they can reach heights little buns can only imagine!

the fabric tunnels for kids to play in are ideal for frenchies..even out in the garden.

this thread has a picture of an adult mini lop next to a french lop!
http://goldenbunnies.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9650

This is our French lop, Pickles (a Fat Fluff), she weighs in at about 5.4kg!

tn_pickle.jpg

She is currently living with Thumper (Honeybunny) a "standard" size bun:

tn_thumper.jpg

Here is a picture showing the size difference!!! (excuse the mess - this was a bonding pic!)

tn_picthump6.jpg

Pickles has just got over (fingers crossed) pneumonia, and another thing to bear in mind with a larger bunny is as well as more food, veg, hay, space... also more medicine when they are poorly - she was on huge doses and has cost hundreds of pounds over the last few months but she is worth every penny.

She is very easy to handle (despite her size) and very friendly, but as has been said previously I would imagine that a french lop that had not been handled could be very hard work!

Back