• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie's final check up today....

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
.... after dislocating his ankle a few weeks back. We're all hoping he'll be allowed some more free space - Alfie's bored and Bubbles is sick of being humped with nowhere to hide. :roll:

I'm slightly concerned as he's starting to get a bit urine stained. :( It's on the side opposite to his bad leg, so I can only think that he's standing slightly lopsided as he's peeing.

Apart from that, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him.

Aw hope all goes well at the vets so Alfie can get out and about. He has probably lost a bit of strength in his bad leg so is sitting a bit lop sided, hence the wee stains, hopefully all will be back to normal once he can start exercising again :)

I was wondering how he was doing the other day as I've not seen any posts about recently. Hope everything goes well :D

Well, it's good news but not quite the good news Alfie was hoping for. :lol::lol: The vet is very pleased with Alfie's progress but he's not being released from prison, just being moved to a softer wing. ;)

We're allowed to gradually start introducing him to more space. I asked the vet about putting him in the shed part of the aviary (4x4) during the day & bringing them back in overnight and he said that was ok, so ta da:

DSCF9266700x525.jpg

We can also allow him short periods of supervised access to a larger area, so I'll open up the whole aviary for half an hour or so later today (and then have a whale of a time trying to entice them back into the shed I expect :roll: :lol:). It's too wet today, but I'm also going to pop him in the 6x4 run on grass for a little while each day too. Then, I'll gradually build up the time out, increase the space he has etc.

I have to keep the wee-stained area clean and dry and they'll reassess when we go back (3 wks time). As you say Lou, he han't been exercising properly and he's still trying to regain a full range of movement in his ankle joint, so we're hoping it will be ok in time.

Also, Alfie's ears are quite dry and inflamed - just the bits they had to shave off - so I also have some fuciderm for them.

The vet fell in love with Alfie. :love::love: I had to pop Alfie onto the floor so the vet could see him walk - the vet sat on the floor to get a good look and Alfie went straight over and jumped on his lap. :love: (Something he only does to me if I have food, humph! :roll:) The vet went all squishy and couldn't stop kissing him. :lol::lol:

Thats exactly what we had to do after Bruces dislocation. They have to build up the muscles again slowly to avoid further dislocation.

So glad it is all heading inthe right direction for Alfie :)

Thats exactly what we had to do after Bruces dislocation. They have to build up the muscles again slowly to avoid further dislocation.

So glad it is all heading inthe right direction for Alfie :)

Thank you. :love: Alfie's is pinned too, because the dislocation meant all his toes were literally just hanging so that means we also have to be wary of him jarring the pin out of place.

I was so worried when it first happened and I really can't believe how incredibly well he's coped with it all. He's still got a way to go, and he's got to be kept on one level until the next check up at least (so no jumping on boxes etc) but it's all good. :D

Lou, I thought I was going to have to wrestle Alfie back off the vet. :lol::lol:

Hurrah it all sounds like good news Im so pleased for him :D He must be a right little tough nut as well as being incredibly handsome! So hopefully not much longer to go before you're posting binky videos!!!

yay! freedom is one hop closer alfie:D did the vet give the ok for humping too (not that his poorly leg has stopped him:lol:)

So hopefully not much longer to go before you're posting binky videos!!!

I'll probably worry like mad when the time comes that he'll do himself a mischief. :oops: I might have to wrap his leg up in bubble wrap before I let him loose in the garden for binkies. :shock: :lol:

Wendy, I sort of brushed over the humping stories. :oops: :lol:

Am so glad he's improving! I was thinking about him this morning and wondering how he was doing. Bless him xx :love:

Back