• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seizure bunny mummys please help/UPDATE BEEN TO VETS

I did see some of your thread :wave: But I don't know what else to suggest at this point as you are doing everything you can.

Unfortunately there is very little we can do in these situations which makes us feel very helpless.

It is sometimes hard to establish an exact cause for neurological problems as it is near impossible to examine the bunny's brain in any way and there is no way you can watch him 24 hours a day in case it happens again :(

It is a horrible helpless feeling, but hopefully Bertie is feeling Ok inbetween these episodes and the vet will be able to offer more advice

Thank you Liz..means a lot coming from you as i know how you have had many fitting buns in your care over time.

yes sadly its not as though he could go for an mri....:(

im hoping maybe its a one off but who can tell?

im guessing the vet would say the same.

But if its related to his pasturella it might be his ears or worst case abscesses in his brain or an infection related to it.
i get them as a result of severe stress...pain......fever.......

i guess a blood test for EC is a top shot....and to get his paws rechecked....and his ears.....for pasturella infection. and all i can ask for.

You could ask for an EC test but this wont tell you for definate if that is the cause. He may come back positive for EC anyway, yet due his pasturella problems it may be that causing the seizure rather than EC. So many buns are positive for EC anyway :? A series of test might give you a better indicationif it is EC but it doesn;t seem fair on Bertie to put him through lots of blood tests.

i expect the best thing to do is to treat for all possible causes and hope for the best. Not ideal I know, but it is very difficult to find a definative cause :(

No i dont want to stress himout anymore...hes had enough..

bif is positive for EC and i normally panacur them like clockwork but berties we have delayed and the littlies are coming up.....

we were advised to defer berties because of his paws and breathing probs.

he wont get stressed out taking paancur as he likes it:shock:

im keeping up with the metacam and metaclop for a few days at least. but the metacam will help any inflammation anyway.

i bet he comes home with a bucke4t of baytril and i will tel them NO he hates taking it and i will not stress him out for something that cannot be certain of helping him.:(

oh gods what a night.....couldnt sleep..watched bertie every time i moved.
I was awake at 4am and nodded off as my alarm for 8.45am went off.

so there i was blacking out...isking having a seizure myself..the taxi was running a few mins late..i was panic stricken cos he wouldnt go in the carrier..he stuck his big furry bottom out so i couldnt zip the door up:shock::lol:

we saw the vet whod taken berties swabs ..lara and we went through a list of what could do it..like medirabbit suggested. his ears are a bit mucky again so she suggested restarhing she said its probably because ting his ear drops. Because he has no other neuro symptoms its not likely to be his ear infection.
However because of his laboured breathing and playing with nikki even for a few seconds may have been enough to cause an anoxic seizure...

she was stroking bertie a lot and saying what a lovley old boy he was.
He may never have another fit or he might be having them often.

lara wants him to go back in a week to reassess his ears and his paws are still a bit swollen and dark pink.

she says hes having bretahing probs it being laboured..BUT no fluid or weird sounds...just air passage a bit noisy.

i gave him his metacam when he got home and hes been pretty sleepy since. hes eating and hes pooping quite well and weeing..all good signs.

but watching him breath heavy im twerrrified of the heat of summer..i dont think hed make it....or am i just panicking?

i need to get some more info on medication that isnt for a mucky chest...and have a stand off about nebulisng him if itll help his breathing..cant take him into the shower..it has a pump in the drain..would terrify him.
the facial steamer could be tipped over and scald either him the cats or me.

sigh..why cant i find enough info online:(

I'm just heading to bed but I'll see what I can find for you in the morning :wave:

Loads of nose rubs for him as usual and a big kiss for Bif :love:

:wave: aww thank you xx..

will pass on nose rubs to him..he sends back sloppy kissies.

yes i will send a kiss to bif......shes a sweetie at the moment...xx

get some good sleep xx

Has he had a chest Xray/Ultrasound recently ?

His 'laboured breathing' and the fit *might* be caused by Heart problems. An ultrasound could be done without sedation and the size of his heart could be assessed.

you know jane the first vet i saw when he began to have breathing probs said an xray to see if it was his heart..but he wasnt the usual vet there. sad.

i was wondering last night..but the one difference is he isnt holding his head/nose in the air to breathe.......and he isnt mouth breathing. But every case is different

i am going ro request a work up for his heart next week:wave:

Back